Caesar's Creek, Waynesville Ohio (Yet Again)

E.T.

I cannot stop going there. Even though every time I leave, I say "this place is so gray that my eyes are bleeding". Yet, I am uploading some more pics from yesterday, then heading out to Caesar's Creek again... ugh...

First are the trilobites :) yay! But the second picture I do not know what it is. It is shaped like little bunny ears, is around 1.5 cm tall, and is of the same composition of the trilobites found in the area. Does anyone know what type of trilobite this is from?

J1Lx3.jpg

???

B4NLY.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have been cataloging specimens collected there a few years back. The tiny Flexis are great but in amongst them I have found enrolled Isotelus, weird crinoid and starfish bits and many other small "odd" things.

Since home was east Dayton I would always stop at the various cuts along US 42 north of Waynesville as well. You can find larger Flexis in some of those.

erose, I stopped last summer and met the owner of that huge roadside hill north of Waynesville. He is in his upper 80's, from Austria, and was in a concentration camp in Yugoslavia when he was a teen. Once released, he moved to the US and joined the Army to repay his debt for being freed by the Americans. He was one of the most interesting and nice people I've ever met. And he gave me permission to hunt his land anytime I want, as long as I stop in for coffee and a chat.

Today, I found another, and larger, Isotelus hypostome. On the way home I stopped at Lowes and bought a pair of kneepads, as my knees are now hurting pretty badly from the spillway floor.

I'm heading east of Cambridge, Ohio this Tuesday and Wednesday to search for shark teeth with a pretty well known Megalodon researcher, Chuck Ciampaglio. I will definitely post pics of my finds later on this coming week. This weather is gorgeous and I'm on Spring Break all week and going fossil hunting everyday!

Nice Trilos, I've never had ANY luck at the Caesar's Creek, but then again I really do not know where to look!

Nice Trilos, I've never had ANY luck at the Caesar's Creek, but then again I really do not know where to look!

On your knees, face about 12 inches above the ground and look amongst the little Zygospira brachiopods. Out in the middle of the southern half. If you crawl thru more than 4-5 feet and don't find anything move to a new spot and try again. You might have to do that a few times but eventually you will find the tiny (2-4mm!) enrolled Flexicalymenes or even slightly larger Isotelus.

That's a fun place! I had a business trip there last fall that took a day longer than expected so I got to collect for a day. I hit a cut just north of Waynesville and the Caesar Creek spillway and found a few bugs. I wasn't quite prepared for how small I had to look, definately someplace I want to go again.

Edited by Caleb