March 20Th Dive

Cris

Earlier in the year when we had the "2012 Goals" thread going, I stated that I was going to tear up the fossils this year....I've had a very, very slow start so far, but today it finally started looking up a bit. I didn't plan on looking for fossils today until about 11AM when my dive buddy called and asked if we were going. I'm never the person to back out of anything like fossil hunting, not even if there's ice in the boat, approaching thunderstorms, etc. Anyways, we met at the dive shop, filled tanks and were out on the water by about 12:30. We had absolutely no idea where we were going to hunt when we got there...Unfortunately, a lot of our reliable spots have been getting a little spotty with the finds lately...So, we just picked a decent looking spot, got on our gear and jumped in. 10 minutes into the dive, I find a decent looking pile of gravel and out pops this:

post-1553-0-60066400-1332290198_thumb.jp

A light blue colored upper wolf molar with roots. Any time I get a nice carnivore tooth, I feel like it was worth my time to go out, so I already felt like anything else found today is just icing on the cake.

About five minutes after the dire wolf molar in almost the exact same spot, I find a small black jaw of some kind of animal. The silt was so thick that I had a hard time making out what it was, so I put it in my bag to look at later. I move around a bit looking for a new pile of gravel and find another jaw....This one I can tell is a river otter, Lutra canadensis and it has the carnassial, premolar and partial canine. Turns out the black jaw from earlier was also Lutra canadensis, just a smaller specimen.

post-1553-0-94306800-1332290440_thumb.jp

Lutra canadensis jaws.

At this point, I realize I'm only about 1000PSI through with my first tank and I've already uncovered a few good fossils. In the back of my head, I kept thinking I was going to find something very nice, but I try not to get myself too psyched up because that doesn't usually happen.

So I drop downstream a bit and find a little crack in the limestone. Usually I don't mess in the little cracks since it's a lot of hard work for a small amount of badly damaged fossils, but I just figured since every other place in the area seemed pretty good, I'd check it. A few minutes into it, I catch the shimmer of enamel out of the corner of my eye caught by the strong river current. I look back and see this sitting against the pure white limestone:

post-1553-0-07892500-1332290165_thumb.jp

A nice dire wolf upper carnassial! It was really starting to look like taking the boat and going way in the middle of nowhere on the river was paying off. It was obvious this place wasn't hunted nearly as hard as some of the other sites I've worked.

By this point I'm down to under 1000 PSI in my tank and my dive buddy comes up....He had some very nice finds also that I didn't manage to photograph. A large mastodon vertebra and skull section as well as a few common deer jaws. Unfortunately, he had only brought one tank and was down to about 1000PSI also, so I wouldn't get the chance to use both of my tanks on this place...But I was perfectly fine with that....Two otter jaws and two wolf teeth were enough to make me happy....so I descend again down to the bottom and start working a new hole that's capped off by a thick layer of peat. As soon as I get to the fossil layer, I realize there is a LOT of pieces of mammoth teeth all mixed in....I collect them for 10 minutes or so and then move on to a new hole.

post-1553-0-54170300-1332291263_thumb.jp

Mammoth tooth fragments.

Next I move up to the last place I'd be able to hit....300 PSI in my tank means I probably should have turned around and went for a boat a while ago....But I didn't feel in danger (clear water and not very deep), so I continued on. I tried a new method in this last hole since it had a lot of smaller fossils in it. Scooping gravel out, laying it against the white limestone and then softly brushing it behind me, scanning as I did so. 5 minutes into it, I see yet another carnivore tooth:

post-1553-0-75607700-1332290131_thumb.jp

A wolf premolar! Talk about the day for wolf teeth.

Down to 100 PSI and I take one finial wave at fanning the sand/peat before I come up to the boat. I notice an odd looking log sticking out of the peat and ignore it for a second as I fan around it....It's then that I notice tons of small pieces of mastodon enamel all around the log. I begin to collect them since they're an attractive white color.....Then I realize the log I was working around is no log at all, it's is a massive root to an absolutely huge tooth. I knew instantly it was the root to a mastodon tooth, but any experienced collector knows....If you see just the root of a fossil tooth sticking out of the sand, don't get your hopes up because 9/10 times, it's broken. I begin to fan around this giant root, knowing I only have a few moments before I start running out of air.. I try to wiggle the root and it doesn't budge....That's always a good sign, it means there must be a lot more buried. After a few moments, it finally budges and I can instantly see that one half of the tooth is very damaged, but the other half still looks very nice.

post-1553-0-16796700-1332290272_thumb.jp

White 5 humper mastodon tooth with roots, anyone? :P:D Bummer about the other side, but a person cannot complain about something as huge and beautiful as this, despite some damage.

It turns out that a lot of my enamel pieces I found around the "log" actually fit the tooth. I have to do some work to it to see how much enamel is there, but I doubt it'll be enough to completely repair it.

post-1553-0-12871300-1332291312_thumb.jp

Mastodon enamel. Some pieces fit the tooth above, but most pieces are probably to an associated molar that was just demolished.

post-1553-0-25752300-1332290235_thumb.jp

Group shot of the otter jaws and wolf teeth.

-Cris

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Awesome stuff! Glad to see your goals being fulfilled. Congratulations Cris!

Well deserved for all the hard work you do for us on the forum.

Steve

You actually started with three tanks. Just sayin'.... :P

What a great day in the river!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hope you fill up those tanks with air.asap. water seepage at low PSI but awesome finds.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Heck of a trip, Cris. Very nice. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Just WoW cris, love the mastodon and Dire wolf. Great report and great finds, wishing I had access to such cool fossils too. :) Thanks for sharing. :) Jeff/Tarheel

Edited by Tarheel59

now that's my kinda trip...impressive!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice stuff dude!

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Thanks everyone. Very much looking forward to getting back there. Images of mastodon jaws are starting to haunt my dreams again! :P

That was amazing! :D :D :D How long do you have down there on a full tank?

It depends on your depth, whether or not you're cold and how hard you're working. I think I was in for about 3 hours for this trip.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Very nice fossils :drool: :Drool: :drool: I have feet wet due to drooling of envy !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! That's awesome. From now on I'll be following your boat. All I usually find is beer cans and cheap dive masks.