Nice Stone Point From Poc

Raptordude1

Found my first complete stone point at post oak creek in Sherman, TX. I'm not very knowledgable about Identifying native american artifacts. Anyone know what time period this is from? Also it looks like it might be a drill point instead of a projectile. Can anyone tell me more about it? Also found a couple nice display quality shark teeth, but pretty much the usual suspects.

post-7449-0-28038700-1332539271_thumb.jpg

It's so fragile looking; you're lucky it's still intact!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Artifacts are something I haven't found in my travels yet.

My goodness, that one is SWEET! :wub:

Congratulations.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That is a very nice arrow point used for hunting deer and other 2 and 4 legged mammals. It is most likely Caddo Indian in culture,from the shape, a time period of at least 800AD. Very nice point in any collection, post your shark teeth---Tom

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

it is a beautiful find, I wouldn't mind learning to knap from the guy who made that! :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Thanks everyone, I post a pic of the best shark teeth of the day. They are mostly Scapanarhynchus which are common, but it is always nice to find complete teeth especially at this location. Sorry the photo is so poor, I took it with my cell phone.

post-7449-0-02790000-1332543686_thumb.jpg

Did a little research on the point. Let me start by saying, most point are identified by classic examples with different degrees of wear. Your point being a nice find, was at the end of its usefulness and was discarded making a 100% ID difficult. To ID a point like yours, you have to imagine it in more pristine condition, as the base area tell the tale of it's name. Based on all of the above, I think it is a Haskell point made by the Caddo Indians from 1200 to 1350 AD. A vast % of the points found have been discarded by their makers unless a burial is found that holds a male, then pristine points, as offerings, can be found---Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Another possibility is the Frio point. If your point was a drill, the edges should show some degree of smoothing/polish from use. I have a point from Kentucky that has smooth edges from the tip to about half way down, which is also the widest part of the blade.

Most points found at POC are very worn. I've seen various different types come from there as well and believe that it was more in passing through that these points were lost, traded, etc. than anything. Without the base being complete and it being worn down, it is a little hard to identify right off hand. It could be a Cuney or or a Frio as someone has already mentioned. Just hard to tell with it being damaged at the bottom. Nice black color though!

I made it to the creek 2 times this week. Found that bone I put in the forum i.d. area, a few various species of ptychodus, some decent teeth and about 5 bottles. Seems we need another rain to wash it off well.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Another possibility is the Frio point. If your point was a drill, the edges should show some degree of smoothing/polish from use. I have a point from Kentucky that has smooth edges from the tip to about half way down, which is also the widest part of the blade.

Ron---A Frio point is a larger dart type point found in Central/West Texas areas, this is a small arrow point that some refer to as "Bird Point". Indians were taught how to make points from the elders and followed a certain style within the tribe and culture but variations did exist , not from trading but individual talent and material available. The arrow point itself wasn't that important but the arrow shaft was. Anyone that has shot a bow will tell you the importance of a straight shaft, they took a lot of time to construct hundreds of years ago, not a lot of straight tree branches out there---Tom

Edited by Foshunter

"Don't Tread On Me"

That is a nice artifact either way. I would have thought it was a drill at first glance though. Either way, sweet find!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

That is a nice artifact either way. I would have thought it was a drill at first glance though. Either way, sweet find!

It's not a drill; drills are very prominent and pretty obvious. It's what we call birdie's. :)post-4072-0-48160700-1332592690_thumb.jpg

That's nice. So surprised it isn't broken.

If you look closely, it is on the base (and barbs). It's hard to find a perfect point, especially birdies.

Nonetheless, it's always cool to find those that are almost whole!

Edited by fossiladdict

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Lyla---That is a well flaked Caddo Washita arrow point you found.--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Does anyone else think it looks like it was re-sharpened?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Lyla---That is a well flaked Caddo Washita arrow point you found.--Tom

Yes I know. I've already posted it on the forum once :)

That point looks like a re-sharpened Scallorn. If it didnt have the slight notch in the base I would guess Alba, or Hayes.

I really need to check that site out some day. Beautiful find.