Maysville Ky

lotsofpets

Well, I didn't find much today in the two hours I was there. Here is some pictures of some of the represenatives I found there though. It was a Drydredgers field trip. I will say that it is a beautifull drive there though, as the dogwoods, redbuds, daffodils, and other springtime flowers are blooming.

Lots of Strophomena brachiopods everywhere, along with several types of bryozoans. I didn't have any of this type in my collection, so I picked up these pieces. The other two things are a piece of calcite and a Zygospira brachiopod. Upper Ordovician.

006-35.jpg

001-41.jpg002-44.jpg004-45.jpg005-41.jpg003-45.jpg007-30.jpg009-23.jpg

:):P Some lilacs from my own front yard...

002-45.jpg003-46.jpg

Edited by lotsofpets

Some nice pieces of Constellaria there. Thanks for the pics of the Lilacs too, we are just getting into Forsythia season now here in Philly.

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Where did you stop, at the multi-step bridge cut? Usually there is a ton of fossils in the Maysville area. If you take the main road East out of Maysville you will cross over from the Ordovician to the Mississippian in about a 40 mile trip.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The big Maysville cut on the parkway is really intimidating the first time you go there. There is alot of rock to work with and alot of it is not easily accessible. Good crinoids and trilobites tho.

Nice finds. The strophomenid type brachiopods are some of my favorites.

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

This outcrop was on 62, right off of the 9/AA highway. I just didn't feel very good on Saturday, or I would have stayed longer. What layer are the crinoids and trilobites in? I didn't even see any signs of a pygidium there, but saw a couple crinoid columnal pieces, but nothing worth picking up. I may go back at some time, as it was only a little more than an hour drive for me, provided there is more to collect at another local site.

• 4 weeks later...