Random Fossils From Red Hill, Pa

Shamalama

While attending the Delaware Mineralogical Society's show a couple of weeks back I picked up some material from the Upper Devonian estuary deposits of Red Hill, PA. I've not collected at the site yet myself but plan to during the DVPS trip in April so I thought it would be good to familarize myself with some of the material that could be found.

I got this huge fish scale (genera unknown):

post-1408-0-38189800-1332615655_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-65914900-1332615657_thumb.jpg

Another, smaller fish scale (genera unknown):

post-1408-0-30918100-1332615782_thumb.jpg

I made a mosaic of this scale with my Zorb microscope/camera:

post-1408-0-30924800-1332615284_thumb.jpg

And I also picked up a piece of rock with lots of debris in it including what looks like some teeth:

post-1408-0-67067700-1332615837_thumb.jpg

close ups in the next post.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Here are the closeup pics of the fish bits in the last rock. All are very small, with the possible bone being about 15mm and the teeth being about 7mm.

Bone?

post-1408-0-14949800-1332616056_thumb.jpg

Tooth 1

post-1408-0-99453100-1332616057_thumb.jpg

Tooth 2

post-1408-0-00223600-1332616060_thumb.jpg

Tooth 3

post-1408-0-62233200-1332616061_thumb.jpg

Tooth 4

post-1408-0-22417300-1332616063_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Sweet! That scale is huge.

Oh, and Dave, genera is plural, genus is singular. A single scale could only be from a genus, not multiple genera. Just FYI.

Here's a good site for the geology, fauna, and flora of Red Hill. Apparently scales of the crossopterygian fish Hyneria lindae are common. Here are a couple of images from the web:

post-528-0-87065400-1332822967_thumb.jpg post-528-0-78741800-1332823141_thumb.jpg

Do you think it might fit your specimen? There are several other photos at that web site, you'll have to scroll down pretty far which may take a while, as you'll probably stop to look at all the beautiful Devonian fish (I sure did).

Cheers,

Don

Don,

Ahhh.... genera>genus... Ok I get it now. :) I think your correct on the Hyneria ID for the larger scale. I found this page which has scales that seem to match the "fringe" on the one I have: http://fossils.valdosta.edu/fossil_pages/fossils_dev/f62.html. Both of the web sites you provided are wonderful time wasters too. I'd forgotten about that Devonian Times page but I have seen it before. Based on the pics from your second link I think the other scale I have is from an Osteolepid fish.

-Dave

Thanks for the post Dave. I'm trying to get my schedule straight to go on the field trip as well.

It's always good for me to see what I'm looking for prior to collecting. :D

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 1 month later...

Beautiful specimens! I have seen some teeth from red hill that are jet black. Has anyone else seen this preservation before?