Naples Area Need Friends :) Or Advice

West4me

My wife and I are done here for a couple days and we would love to go fossil hunting with someone. We went out today with Mark Rentz and had a wonderful time. We didn't have any major finds but we don't mind, every thing we find is a little treasure.

If there is anyone going out tomorrow and would like some fellow enthusiasts to tag along, we would love the opportunity.

We are also open to advice on where we could go without a guide, we can go back to the Peace, but I figured where we were is hit hard by the guided trips..

"You have to listen. It is under the rocks."

I went out to the Peace river Yesterday (Wednesday). I was alone because my normal fossil buddy, Bill, was helping Mark yesterday.

I was in my prospecting mode, which translates to move quickly (kayak), find gravel, test for fossils for 20 minutes, move on. Both strenuous and irritating for new fossil enthusiasts.

If you are vacationing here, it means you will likely not have kayaks/canoes (rental is a possibility), sieves, shovels, boots, etc That may limit you to those places where it is possible to "walk-in" to the fossil areas. Most walk in areas have had a LOT of fossil activity -- but that does not mean you can not find fossils there --

I do not know what your experience with Mark was -- most newcomers just dig the surface (top 18 inches). Most experienced fossil hunters dig DEEP -- trying to go below where everyone else has looked

Check this PDF http://www.dep.state...Peace_guide.pdf Every number on the map is access -- you can walk 100-200 yards up or down stream. Minimum gear is shovel , sieve, dive boots

Better advice -- JOIN a south florida fossil club -- cost $20 a year, you get the newsletter, contacts, stories about the Peace.. Next year you will develop lots more opportunities -- These clubs take members out to Phosphate mines, shell pits, quarries and even the Peace River

http://www.flmnh.ufl...ology/clubs.htm

Crews Park and Griffin Bridge in Wauchula, Arcadia Park, Downstream of Gardner boat ramp..

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Excellent advice Shellseeker. I will add, if you are in Naples, the closest club will be The Fossil Club of Lee County. www.fcolc.com

It is an excellent club, with a most excellent refreshments comittee chairperson. :)