Polymerized, Pedastalled And Plastered

sward

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions on how I should proceed with this "project". As I've never had the need to do this before, I've been a litttle apprehensive about proceeding. But, I can tell you one thing, I'm having the time of my life working on this. I'm just hoping that my efforts will reward me with something like the outstanding fossils I see posted by ya'll.

Since my last post (http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/28677-i-found-a-fish-now-what/), I applied the adhesive yesterday and let it soak in and set overnight. Today, I "pedastalled" the fish and set it in plaster. I followed the recommendations made by ya'll and what I've read about the subject. Bowkill had suggested putting a few thin strips of wood inside the plaster jacket, as well, to strengthen it. This seemed to be a good idea, so I did this, too.

A couple of suggestions also recommended patience. As one said, "...this fossil has been there for millions of years waiting for someone to come along and find it. There's no point in getting in a hurry now." But, I can tell ya, it's hard being patient when I'm this excited about proceeding. I guess my true test of patience will be once I get it home and start the prepping process.

Below are the latest pics of my progress. I plan to let the plaster cast set overnight and go back tomorrow and lift it out (I'm trying to remember.....PATIENCE!!!)

post-6450-0-30606800-1333306236_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-53340000-1333306258_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Looking very good to me, but I've never done this, so what do I know! I'm excited for you, and can understand how you feel. Looking forward to seeing how it preps out. Show us some step by step pictures as you go along. Some of us at least will learn a lot from that :P

i'd get it in the garage at max speed, then pace myself with prep. weather, other collectors, and other unforeseen factors could otherwise crash your party. if its dry today, take it home today.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice jacketing job. Based on the piece of burlap there, this thing should not need any wood support. That is primarily for big pieces. Is it home yet? You should start prepping from the bottom. For two reasons.. or three. One: its might still be open if you did not put a layer of plaster and burlap on the bottom. Two: the top has been polymerized... the bottom has not. Three: the bottom is often better preserved as it eroded less both in the Cretaceous and during the past 50 yrs.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the compliments. This was the first time I've had to plaster a fossil so it's been a heck of a learning experience.

I placed several layers of wet paper towels on top of the fossil, then several layers of burlap soaked in plaster, a couple of wood strips, then more layers of plaster soaked burlap.

Based on Dan's comments, I retrieved it yesterday evening. Everything seemed to go well as the cast came out of the ground in one piece. I now have it in my garage. Now the fun part...prepping. I've got to keep that "patience" thing in mind.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

why leave retrieval to chance, i says. now i'd let it dry several days, giving you more time to research best approach at prep.

what prep tools are at your disposal? sounds to me like you've done everything right.

hats off to your superlative encounter of the paleo piscatorial kind!!!

Grüße,

This is an exciting play by play! Thanks, and looking forward to seeing it through.

No pressure, though. ^_^

Steve

great news! Glad it all came out in one piece. Now the real fun starts. Make sure you keep us posted!

generally speaking, once you prep down to the fish layer, i'd prep and stabilize a few square inches at a time. while one end dries you can maybe work on the other end to keep things moving. just a thought. i'll defer further prep advice to the guys more experienced with this sort of find.

Grüße,

Wow, good stuff! I would be impatient as all getout! I have never found anything requiring this type of extraction so I know nothing of the process but it looks like you done a great job of plastering it and you couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable bunch of people to guide you through it! Just one more reason I love the fossil forum so much! :) Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :)

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Thanks for the continued encouragement!

The fossil is in a very sticky clay so prep so far seems to be fairly "easy". I've been removing the thin layers of clay one at a time this morning just to see how it's going to proceed. Right now, I'm just using a nut pick to peel up each layer of thin clay. As far as prep tools, I'm somewhat limited to a nut pick, Craftsman engraver (thanks to a previous thread on here about prep tools), Dremel tool, and other miscellaneous hand tools. I really don't envision needing an air eraser or scribe as this material is very soft. That's one of the reasons I was concerned about the best way to recover the fossil, because the material's so soft.

I'm trying to remember the patience thing, that's why I'm on the TFF right now. I figured it was time to take a break and smoke a cigarette and check TFF.

Again, thanks for the continued support. I plan to keep posting as things progress.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Very interesting getting the play by play of this retrieval and prep. Sounds to me like you have things well under control. Looking forward to seeing what comes of the prep work...

Super lucky, that is awesome.

You have a much better eye than I do. I am not sure I would have recognized it as a fish at all. Then again I am still needing to learn a ton. I am sure I have over looked lots of fossils because they were not openly recognizable to me. Certainly I have never needed to do anything like you are doing right now. It must be a really awesome feeling finding something like that.

I find myself excited for you; I cannot wait to see the finished product. Good job so far and congratulations on your find.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Pictures pictures pictures! :D

Make sure you take pictures at various stages!

You'll want to remember the work you've done.

And be able to show it off! ;)

Well done so far!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I want to echo Fossildude19. Lots of pictures of your progress. I think the best part of fossil hunting is the peeling of layers on a challenging find! Enjoy the journey and don't get in a hurry!

Good luck!

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

good thing u did a speedy extraction, lest your prize be pummeled to bonemeal by hail ! please refetence my "unforeseen factor" clause above...

Grüße,

Lookin' good. Can't wait to see some pictures of your progress.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Really nice, you are doing everything right, take your time, take pictures as you go (we all want to see) . As I prep if something looks like it is too fragile or is going to flake off I paint that specific bit piece with vinac (PVA) disolved in acetone using a fine scale model airplne brush. Very dilute , it penetrates really well, is reversable and tends not to discolor with age. I always have two glass paint bottles with metal lids with a very dilute solution and one that is just a bit viscous. I tend to use the viscous one as a glue instead of cyanoacralate for small bits as it is far more forgiving and easily reversable with acetone.