Fossil Fish Scales

Oregon Jim

I do not have a clue about what type of fish this came from. I actually thought I had found crabs...

There is a restaurant called the Orange Hill Restaurant up on top of a hill, near Irvine Park. I parked my car in their lot one morning and took a short walk into the hills close by. The first fossil that caught my eye was a shark's tooth that was sticking out of the sandstone rocks. More searching led me to some small fish about an inch long, and then I saw something that just stopped me in my tracks; a large piece of bone in the rocks. I beat feet to the museum in Santa Ana and convinced the curator to have a look. He told me I had found what he believed to be a California grey whale between 15-20 million years old, and my impression was that he was not too impressed. I thought it was GREAT!

post-2173-0-84771200-1333733486_thumb.jpg

post-2173-0-60751400-1333733896_thumb.jpg

LOL he might not have been impressed but I sure am. Then again I practically drool over all the stuff others including you have posted.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I just looked at this location using Google Earth, and I'd bet the whale bones are still right where I found them

(Degrees, decimal minutes) 33 degrees, 47.394 min. N., 117 degrees, 47.091 min. W.

The sandstone faces on that hillside (South slope of hill) was a treasure trove of small fish...

That looks like the tip of a Carcharocles megalodon tooth.

Yeah, museum guys in Orange County don't get too excited about pieces of whale because they have found so many. A construction project often turns up something like that.

I do not have a clue about what type of fish this came from. I actually thought I had found crabs...

There is a restaurant called the Orange Hill Restaurant up on top of a hill, near Irvine Park. I parked my car in their lot one morning and took a short walk into the hills close by. The first fossil that caught my eye was a shark's tooth that was sticking out of the sandstone rocks. More searching led me to some small fish about an inch long, and then I saw something that just stopped me in my tracks; a large piece of bone in the rocks. I beat feet to the museum in Santa Ana and convinced the curator to have a look. He told me I had found what he believed to be a California grey whale between 15-20 million years old, and my impression was that he was not too impressed. I thought it was GREAT!

Fossil fish scales? Didn't know there was a weight limit :P

Welcome to the forum.

Nice finds.

Keep 'em comming.

I appreciate your replies!

I hope that some will be able to visit that area one of these days to give it another look. Perhaps the shark lost a tooth feeding on the carcass of the whale... Perhaps the spine and ribs were misidentified, and the scales came from that great fish... Maybe there is more to be discovered. I have wondered about it for nearly forty years!

To be honest, I think the fish scales are the neatest thing I have ever found, as after millions of years the color and pattern of the scales remain.

Edited by Oregon Jim

I have wondered about IDing fish scales too, as that is about all I ever find of fish in my area (only 2 teeth in a couple decades of looking). Scales have such distinctive patterning and diversity, you'd think it would enable a classification / diagnostic chart to be drawn up.

:zzzzscratchchin:

Just as another reference to scales, this is the type I find in the area, Demopolis Chalk, Cretaceous, MS.

post-4311-0-58529300-1334242415_thumb.jpg

Just as another reference to scales, this is the type I find in the area, Demopolis Chalk, Cretaceous, MS.

post-4311-0-58529300-1334242415_thumb.jp

Nice! I assume the symmetrical splitting was caused by flattening?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice! I assume the symmetrical splitting was caused by flattening?

Never really thought about it, this is the biggest one I have found to date and was the only one that I noticed them. After reading your post I looked at a couple other ones and they have it as well.

That is definitely an interesting thought though!