A Rare Gift From My Dad (Thank You Dad)

Sharkbyte

Hello everyone,

Today is "Good Friday" Yes it is. I have been kinda quiet lately on the Forum. Still reading and enjoying everyones postings, pictures and stories but taking more of a back seat approach however today was one of those kind of days I have to share with my friends and or people who might be my friends some day.

Today I received a very rare and special gift from my Dad and considering he passed away almost 6 years ago, I had to share it with someone. Nothing about today should have happened. I work 12 hr swing shifts and currently I am on night shifts but I couldn't sleep so I have been up all day. My Wife made a flower arrangement for both her parents and my Dads grave site so she asked if I couldn't sleep would I like to go grab a salad at McDonalds and go put the flowers out at my Dads grave site. Well, given the fact that I am working night shift and the cemetary is about 30 miles away, I ordinarilly would not have went but decided to go anyway. It was overcast and rainy adding to all the reasons I shouldn't go and given that it was mid day I knew if I tried to lay back down now it would be my last chance to sleep before work and yet I still decided to go anyway.

To get the most out of this story I have to back up several years. I started collecting fossils and Indian artifacts more than 30 years ago in the area where my Dad was burried and my Dad was always impressed with the things I would find. When my Dad passed away 6 years ago I was a basket case over his passing and I couldn't think of what to do for him that would be a part of me and be very special then the night before the funeral I thought I should give my Dad a gift. The next morning I went to the funeral home before they loaded the casket into the hearse and they let me see my Dad one more time and I placed in his hands folded on his chest my best Palmer Arrowhead I had ever found and it was a perfect specimen in every way. It was clearly the nicest point I had ever found quality wise which is why I chose it, then I placed with it my only whole Aurora Megalodon tooth and while it was only about 3-1/2" long it was incredibly beautiful. I knew my Dad would love these gifts and today, the day that shouldn't have been, I went to see him to place the flowers on his grave and there was a fresh burrial site just down from his plot and I walked over to it and where the sand had been smoothed out and leveled , I found a very Rare Hardaway Dalton point. This is a late Paleo point dating from about 9500-8000 years B.P. It has heavy basal thinning and a very modest fluting on one side. I also found a broken quartz base but the Hardaway Dalton was an incrdible find for me. It was a gift from my Dad. Thanks Dad. I love you and I miss you.

post-6069-0-48247400-1333736604_thumb.jpg

post-6069-0-18537000-1333736647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sharkbyte

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Strange how the departed are with us, in so many ways. :)

Thank you for sharing this story.

I am sorry for your loss, but happy for the reminder that point will be for you.

Best regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Strange how the departed are with us, in so many ways. :)

Thank you for sharing this story.

I am sorry for your loss, but happy for the reminder that point will be for you.

Best regards,

Thanks Tim. You are right. I am framing this point as we speak and I will never look at this point that I don't think of my Dad. With a :D on my face.

Thank you for sharing this inspirational true story:) I lost my dad 19 years ago and not a day goes by that I do not feel his presence..

I wish you and your family a wonderful Easter :)

Chelebele

Thank you for sharing this inspirational true story:) I lost my dad 19 years ago and not a day goes by that I do not feel his presence..

I wish you and your family a wonderful Easter :)

Thank you Chele and the same goes for you. Your T Rex tooth find was incredible and I can't wait to see more. You will probable be posting something amazing soon I bet.

Thank you Sharkbyte :) It has been snowing here today hopefully it will not stick around long!! As soon as things clear we will be out there again :Bananasaur: and those arrowheads you found are great!!

Edited by chele

Chelebele

Thank you, Bobby, for sharing the amazing ''story of your life''.

I wish you to be healthy to have your beloved Dad in mind :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Great story, thanks for sharing. I lost my Dad just over a year ago, it has been a ruff year. We are opening a new business and I just wish Dad could have been here to see it.

Troy Nelson

Incredible story, Bobby. I lost my dad 30 years ago, but he always found the arrowheads, lol!

Very touching story, and I'm glad to see you post. I've been wondering. (But I do look to see if you've been on) :ninja:

Thanks, and Happy Easter to you and all forum members.

Steve

Great story, thanks for sharing. I lost my Dad just over a year ago, it has been a ruff year. We are opening a new business and I just wish Dad could have been here to see it.

Thanks Dudeman,

Believe it or not your Dad will be their to see it. I am sorry for your Dads passing but his pressence will be around. I know it sounds crazy but any time I have a dream and my Dad is in it no matter how simmple or short, it is a visit with my Dad and I always feel uplifted afterwards. I wish you nothing but the best of luck with your new business. I hope you make lots of money, lots of friends and all in a memorable and enjoyable way.

Bobby

Incredible story, Bobby. I lost my dad 30 years ago, but he always found the arrowheads, lol!

Very touching story, and I'm glad to see you post. I've been wondering. (But I do look to see if you've been on) :ninja:

Thanks, and Happy Easter to you and all forum members.

Thanks Bullsnake,

It is good to Here from some of my Forum friends. It is a great thing that you was able to get out and go collecting arrowheads with your Dad. I hope you still have them. I will try to be a little more active within the Forum. I actually miss posting. Take care and Happy Easter to you and your family.

Bobby

Thank you, Bobby, for sharing the amazing ''story of your life''.

I wish you to be healthy to have your beloved Dad in mind :)

Hello my good friend Astron,

Great to hear from you and likewise I hope you are doing well. My family is doing great and we are all in reasonable health. Still healty enough to get out and wade creeks looking for fossils with my Son. Take care of yourself and I will see you around the Forum I hope.

Bobby

That's a very touching story, Bobby and passing to this time of death and resurrection. It speaks a lot for this Forum that you feel moved to share your experience here with us.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That's a very touching story, Bobby and passing to this time of death and resurrection. It speaks a lot for this Forum that you feel moved to share your experience here with us.

Thank you Ludwigia,

To someone outside the loop it probably seems like such a simple thing but I was very moved by the events and I just had to tell someone so I thought about my family and my friends on the Forum.

I still share moments in the woods with my Dad, whenever a grouse drums, or a wildflower quivers in the breeze, or a dear bounds off indignantly. This capacity is one of the best perks of being human. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bobby, thank you for sharing this! My dad passed 20 years ago and every once in while I come across something tucked away which I have not seen in years. Astonishes me because it seems to happen when I need him or I am thinking of him.

Libby

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

I still share moments in the woods with my Dad, whenever a grouse drums, or a wildflower quivers in the breeze, or a dear bounds off indignantly. This capacity is one of the best perks of being human. :)

Hello Auspex,

This is a pleasure that I hope all of us experience from time to time. So many things in my daily life keep my Dad close to me. Just like your experiences. When my mouth is the most shut and my eyes and ears are the most open, I can still spend quite a few memories with my Dad. I have to say, the Forum is full of really great people with kind words and short and enjoyable experiences to share, Thank you to all of you.

Bobby, thank you for sharing this! My dad passed 20 years ago and every once in while I come across something tucked away which I have not seen in years. Astonishes me because it seems to happen when I need him or I am thinking of him.

Libby

Hello Libby,

Isn't it great when that happens? I hope your life holds many more stashed away tid bits of the past you shared with your Dad and you find them slowly over a long period of time but always when you need them the most or they serve the most good. Good luck with your fossil collecting and keep the pictures and postings rolling. I love seeing the finds that are still out there. Especially the local finds.

Wonderful story, so sorry for your loss.

I lost my dad 10 years ago, but every day I feel as though he's still with me. I live 12 hours away from where I grew up and it's hard to get the time to visit his grave. By chance, I happen to be scheduling a trip there next week to visit my mother who is ailing and will probably be joining my dad in the near future. My dad and I used to sit on the front porch and watch the sun set and smoke a cigarette together and solve all of the world's problems. Now, every time I visit his grave, I place a cigarette on his grave marker and I smoke one with him again.

"Love's last gift...rememberance"

Hello Sward,

Thanks for the reply to my posting. I especially enjoyed the retelling of how you and your Dad solve all of the worlds problems. I thought that was an exclusive thing my Dad and I shared but I guess thats why the world is so full of problems. Lots of Parent/Child troubleshooting engeneering squads require lots to work on. I hope your Mom will be fine and that you have her around for a long time. Enjoy your visit soon.

I'm sorry for your loss Bobby :(

That was a very nice piece, and made me emotional. It reminds me how my dad is still here and how we get along. Without my dad, I would never have had started my fossil collection... And I don't think I have properly thanked him yet. Might as well do it right now before it's too late.

I'm sorry for your loss Bobby :(

That was a very nice piece, and made me emotional. It reminds me how my dad is still here and how we get along. Without my dad, I would never have had started my fossil collection... And I don't think I have properly thanked him yet. Might as well do it right now before it's too late.

Thanks Henry,

Now this reply from you is the most moving one I've read yet. Tell your Dad hello for me and I am glad that my Dads gift to me was a gift to you as well. Way to go.

I started this posting just wanting to share a recent happy experience as well as a nice Indian artifact find that I thought others might enjoy but it turned out that it moved a few people and was uplifting to many and the coolest part of this twist is that is the kind of person my Dad was and his gift to me might have been a gift to others as well. I am very touched by the comments I have received and I am blown away with how it affected Sinopaleus. Yall Guys and Gals are greatest.

I have one more gift from my Dad that has nothing at all to do with a fossil but it does have something BIG to do with the Fossil Forum and it goes so well with my original posting about my Dad. When I joined the Forum about a year ago I instantly started meeting some very helpfull and very nice members. I remember my first encounter with one of the Forums finest members "Chele" who by the way is the winner of this months VFOTM award. She found out that she would be moving and she had (litterally) tons of fossil plant material that she could move or could SELL but she chose to hold a contest that awarded the first 10 members who could answer 3 riddles with a huge box of amazing fossils. (I guess this story does have something to do with fossils after all) Long story short...(To late for that) I was one of the winners and I soon learned she was an artist with a paint brush as well. She painted a beautiful Mosasaur painting and I was so impressed. My Dad started one particular painting in the late 60's or very early 70's but for some reason he never completed that particular painting. He gave it to me because I loved it so much and he thought one day he might try to complete it for me. Well, when he passed away I lost the opportunity for ever for my Dad to complete one of my favorite paintings of his. I thought about completing it myself but lacked the skills to do it justice then something moved me to impose myself on Chele to see if She would be willing to finish it for me. She jumped at the opportunity to give me only what I asked for and not repaint my Dads painting. She completed it for me and cleaned it and rushed it back to me in very quick timing because Chele was faced with the daunting task of moving. Her house was if not already packed up, well on it way to being all packed. The weather was terrible and it was Christmas time. She not only completed it so beautifully and far exceeding my expectations but she got it to me with 2 others in time for the Christmas hollidays. I asked her to sign her name to one corner and my Dads to the other because my Dad never signed it and now I have a beautifull treasure and a memory from my past from way back when I was just a little kid and yet another gift from my Dad from Chele. Thank you Chele. You are awesome. By the way, it is worth mentioning, I now own the original amazing Mosasaur painting from Chele.

post-6069-0-23111500-1333825120_thumb.jpg

post-6069-0-37464400-1333825170_thumb.jpg

post-6069-0-87319600-1333825244_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great story Sharkbite. Friday the 13th is not unlucky. I found my 2nd meg tooth on the 13th in as many days. The thrill we get when we find that perfect point or sharks tooth or and unusual fossil has no comparison to what your father found when he pass over to heaven. Find and read the book "Heaven is for Real" and you will understand what I mean. It will change the way you understand God and Heaven.

Great story Sharkbite. Friday the 13th is not unlucky. I found my 2nd meg tooth on the 13th in as many days. The thrill we get when we find that perfect point or sharks tooth or and unusual fossil has no comparison to what your father found when he pass over to heaven. Find and read the book "Heaven is for Real" and you will understand what I mean. It will change the way you understand God and Heaven.

Gray Ghost,

Thanks for the comment. I will make it a point to read that book and I appreciate it.

Bobby