First Trip To Peace River (Lots Of Find Pics)

darthjlc

If anyone can help me ID anything I have wrong or anytiong with question marks (???), please do. Thanks for looking.

Peace3-31-12BeadsOther.jpg

Peace3-31-12BoneFrags.jpg

Peace3-31-12BonesAntlers.jpg

Peace3-31-12BonesVertabrates.jpg

Peace3-31-12CarcharhinusSharks.jpg

Peace3-31-12Fish.jpg

Peace3-31-12LargeTeeth.jpg

Peace3-31-12LemonSharks.jpg

Peace3-31-12OtherSharks.jpg

Peace3-31-12RayBarbsDermal.jpg

Peace3-31-12sharpNoseFrags.jpg

Peace3-31-12SnaggleSandShark.jpg

Peace3-31-12StingRayTeeth.jpg

Peace3-31-12TurtleShells.jpg

Peace3-31-12Wood.jpg

You have a Cornicopia of finds. Good day I would say. Quite a bit of it you have already guessed it more or less correctly. Picture 1 is mostly "Love Stones" Pic 2 shows mostly unidentifiable bone fragments with a jaw bone section of??? thrown into the mix. Pic 3 you do indeed have a section of Deer Antler and pic 3 item B looks like a Deer Hoof Core. The rest, you are also pretty accurate. Good luck with your future finds.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

You had a very good -day and I know how much time and effort it takes to lay everything out and take pictures. I try to layout on the back porch and use the sunlight to "lighten up " the photos.

On Pic#1 , no one really knows , what creates the "cheerios", but many have made necklaces out of them. Some of these could be bone boring worms, prior to fossilization.

Pic #6 Catfish spines and yes, those are garfish scales.

Pic#7 -- Tooth Animal? looks to be the side (2 cones) of a baby Mastodon tooth, but I would have to see blowup or hold it to be sure. The "claw?" is a very worn lower snaggletooth.

On PIC # 10, NICE, Large dermal denticle . Please do an isolated photo in better light to show details

In PIC #15 -- it is my experience that most things that look like petrified wood are really fossilized bone fragments.

I see you have the addiction -- Welcome aboard!! SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

nice assortment of finds. can;t say for sure but i don;t see anything in pic 15 that screams petrified wood before bone to me. could be wrong. you have a nice assortment of finds. congrats.

Edited by fossiljunkie

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

Nice finds for one day. I would say the last pic is bone fragments and not pet wood. The teeth in pic 7, cone shaped, they appear to be alligator or croc teeth. Pic 14 does look like turtle to me anyway.The dermal dentical in pic 10 is very very nice.Congrats and welcome to the forum!!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Pic 1 - the things on the right are the internal mold of the shell. The shell itself is gone. (I believe)

You made some good finds. Thanks for posting. If you are dying to know anything specifically, just say what picture/letter and I'm sure someone here can figure it out. (Although as mentioned before, you may need to get some better lighting.)

Pic #12 not sure why you have marked Shark???

It is indeed a sharks tooth, Hemi lower. Nice color.

The one I really want to know is in Pic#9 , Tooth "L". It looks like a mini megalodon frag.

The one I really want to know is in Pic#9 , Tooth "L". It looks like a mini megalodon frag.

I would call that a bull or dusky shark, but I would need a more detailed pic to be sure. Great finds by the way! The Peace River is on my bucket list... one of the last few places I haven't hunted...

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

• New Members

DarthJLC: That's an amazing amount to find on a single day! We live in Maine, but my two girls and I took a trip down the Peace River last year. We had luck, but not nearly as good as you. We are going down again next week and I was wondering if you had any suggestions with the water so low (it's much lower than last year). Last year we went from Gardner to Arcadia, but it sounds like there may be a lot of walking. Just wondering if you had any suggestions for the trip, since you've been down recently. Good general spots to look on the River, places to avoid with the water too low. If you have any feedback it would be appreciated.

I just showed the girls your pictures and they are excited!

That is an amazing amount of fossils. They are really awesome.

Wow I am amazed at how nice they look. I cannot stop looking at them.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Mainer - Like I said it was my first time to the peace river, so I don't really know the best spots. I can tell you where I was searching and also, be prepared. I took three large sifters (homemade), and a good shovel. I also had a conoe. Some of the more interesting finds were in the center of the river. Dig deep, It pays off. I entered just before Arcadia city limits, right by Florida 70 is a public ramp on American Legion Drive. I found different spots north for about 1.5 miles. We would spot gravel, sift, and when we would get board, move on. Look carefully at your finds and thats about it. Enjoy your trip and best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Could the stuff in the first pic possibly be beads from Native Americans?

The two small ones do look like beads but the river <working with the worms or whatever it is that drill those holes> could make those also. The only way to really tell is to look at the hole under high magnification then, if the scratches made by the drill are uniform and running all in the same direction, then it's a native made bead. It is, by the way, my experience that the vast majority of those are - in fact - native made beads.

Looks like you had a pretty good day on the river with a wide assortment of material. In pic one, the things on the bottom right with the curve to them are gastopod fragments. The turtle shells.... the ones with the mottled design are soft shell <snapper I think> and usually found just like that because the scutes break up easily. The rest that are turtle I've always identified as Pond Turtle, it is those that you can get luck and find complete scutes of.

Grats on your day digging in the Peace. I really miss being able to go there whenever I want....