Rude Encounter On Post Oak Creek.

Duckcreek Davy

I was quietly enjoying myself yesterday on the POC below hwy75, sifty gravel peacefully looking for sharks teeth when I had a rather rude encounter. I had my bucket with the revolving seat lid planted firmly in the creek and was sitting a few yards from the bank gazing at the gravel in my little sifter when something caught the corner of my right eye about 2 feet from my foot. I glanced over to see a rather large...dark...forboding looking water moccasin who was headed directly between my legs and the bucket. :drool: Now I'm not as a rule afraid of snakes, and I know the difference between a mocassin and say a diamond back water snake.....but this guy made me jump about 20 feet in the air. I swear I was levitated....hee-hee...I think it scared him as much as it did me cause he scrammed. After I got through scraping my britches I went back to my pursuits. :P

I have to admit this was not what I expected to read. I am glad to hear it turned out well. We always have to remember to be careful of the nature around us.

Robert
Southeast, MO

.22 caliper, and kill it! Sorry herp geeks, but I kill any snakes, encountered.This mammal employs reptilian tactics...kill it, food!

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

And you used what to scrap out your britches :blink:

I don't like snakes of any kind

Not a fan of snakes either - glad you're here to tell the story.

Soiled underwear is better than the alternative. :wacko::blink:

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

No reason to kill a snake ever, poisonous or no. Just back away (or you can poop rocket yourself away :o ) and all will be fine. I tend to catch the snakes I come across...well the non poisonous ones anyway. The copperheads and rattle snakes I have run across were left un molested. LOL

I will say this Davy, you did get lucky. Mocassins are mean natured snakes. Usually something like that just tends to tick them off. Glad you are good to go.

All that snakes require of us is our absence. I am always glad to see one, and am otherwise happy to respect their solitude.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

.22 caliper, and kill it! Sorry herp geeks, but I kill any snakes, encountered.This mammal employs reptilian tactics...kill it, food!

Sorry but I have to disagree with you! I just sent a reply out the other day in response to an email I recieved concerning the killing of snakes. It is rather lengthy but I am posting it here in an attempt to "save a snake" :)

Please read this and pass it on if you feel the same!

There is some good information in the original email message about wasp spray at the bottom of this page except for the next to the last sentence!

It says, Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake?

Did you know it will also kill baby bunnies, and the songbirds you love and invite into your gardens and backyards, along with their un-hatched babies still in the egg? It will kill Koi, goldfish and frogs in your ponds! It will kill flowers and plants too!!

Please don’t spray snakes with wasp killer!!!!

Or any other animal besides rapists and muggers!!

This is a horrible way to kill a snake!!!

Even a venomous snake!!!

Your best option is to step away slowly and leave the area! Contrary to popular belief, snakes DO NOT want to chase you down and bite you!!! They would much rather be left alone and in turn, leave you alone. When disturbed or taunted by humans, they bite as a defense, otherwise, their venom is strictly for killing prey for food!!!

I am NOT making light of snake encounters and encounters with venomous snakes are no joking matter, BUT,

Did you know that there are only 4 species of venomous snakes in North America?

They are

1. Rattlesnake cid:image001.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0

2. Cottonmouth/Water moccasin cid:image006.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0

3. Copperhead cid:image007.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0 and

4. Coral snake cid:image008.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0

Most snake encounters are of the NON-Venomous variety!

The little Ringneck cid:image009.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0 cid:image010.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0

Garter snakes cid:image011.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0cid:image012.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0

(Commonly and mistakenly called Garden snakes)

Black snakes cid:image013.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0cid:image014.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0

Hognose snakecid:image015.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0cid:image016.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0 and

Rat snakescid:image017.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0cid:image018.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0 and many, many more!

There are many more NON-Venomous snakes, too numerous to mention here but the point is, 99% of the snakes you may encounter are of ABSOLUTLEY NO THREAT to you!

ALL of these are harmless to humans and actually are beneficial, keeping the pest populations down by eating grubs and insects, frogs and toads and rodents such as mice and rats! NON-Venomous snakes may coil and snap at you when threatened and their teeth are tiny but sharp. Although they may draw a bit of blood, simple first aid such as a thorough cleaning of the bite and a clean bandage should suffice. A NON-Venomous snakebite is no worse than a paper cut and will not kill you! These are the snakes you are most likely to run into in your backyard or garden. If you live in an area known for it’s venomous snakes, you probably know or should know how to identify them. If not, do yourself and the snakes a favor and learn the differences between the dangerous snakes and the harmless ones. Obviously, color, pattern and location are tell-tale indicators of whether or not a snake is dangerous but some snakes, such as the rat snakes and hognose snakes can be deceiving in their color, pattern and location but the shape of the head is key with very few exceptions. A venomous snakes head is much more triangular in shape with it’s rear jaw being much wider than it’s NON-Venomous cousins! Take a look at this illustration to get an idea of head shape.

cid:image019.jpg@01CD13F2.B767F7F0

The coral snakes head looks very much like a NON-Venomous snakes head but normally, their bright coloration and distinctive patterns should be enough of an indicator to at least do a bit more research and the Brown Watersnakes head looks like the head of a venomous snake, but is not. Your best bet is to leave ANY snake alone!! Chances are, you will come back shortly and the snake will be nowhere to be found! They don’t like you as much as you don’t like them!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I will leave you with this bit of info. When dealing with snakes, especially if you are not certain of their nature, always err on the side of caution and

leave them be.

leave them be.

leave them be.

Back away slowly, keeping an eye on them, until you are a safe distance away from them. They will soon be out of site again and not a threat to you or your pets.

ORIGINAL EMAIL MESSAGE……..

Subject: Wasp Spray

I know many of you own GUNS but this is something to think about...---

If you don't have a gun, and are a little apprehensive about owning one, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Did you know this? I never really thought of it before.

Wasp Spray
-
A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and
it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would
. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School. For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything else I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes." It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life.

Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake
? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp.!!!!

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Funny I had to "rescue" a guy at work from a snake this week. He was walking in front of me when he stopped then started backing up going "Snake, there is a snake."

I looked in the floor and he was right. The was a huge 9 inch long baby rat snake laying there. I walked over and poked it with a finger and it responded by opening it mouth wide. I laughed at it grabbed it behind the head and took it outside so I could release the little monster.

I'm not scared of snakes so just try to give them room. Besides they are all protected here so in theory you could end up with a whopping big fine for killing one, but I doubt you would.

I didn't know you could kill snakes with calipers. . . . did you take inside or outside dimensions??? <grin>

...did you take inside or outside dimensions?...

Depends.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanatocoenosis...have you ever EATEN one of the snakes you've killed? If not...it hardly counts as 'food'.

-Joe

Yes. Yes I have. On multiple occasions I have pulled that spaghetti like string of deliciousness from the ribs of those reptiles. Not much meat, and it doesn't taste like chicken. But, it is tasty.

Generally, I don't kill critters, anymore. But, I still eat them.

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

I didn't know you could kill snakes with calipers. . . . did you take inside or outside dimensions??? <grin>

Especially, with ones so small, huh? :D

Be aware that many species are protected. And if you think we take our fossils seriously, go ahead and screw with a forestry agent or any other enforcement agency.

Rattlesnakes are protected in KS at least.

Now, that said, snake cruelty is different. I did place a 6' hognose snake in a fossil buddies bed in western KS once...

They are food, here.

I never kill one unless it's endangering someone. Most of the time, all they want to do is get out of there.

I never kill them. When night fishing I simply rap them on the nose with a rod tip and send them scurrying. Besides....the snakes are merely a distraction from the true evil at hand...................the spiders! I know THEY are out to get me!

the true evil at hand...................the spiders! I know THEY are out to get me!

I will kill me a brown recluse, with a quickness, every chance I get!

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

I will kill me a brown recluse, with a quickness, every chance I get!

I have no quarrel with that sir! It's them or us LOL! :angry: :Bananasaur:

I don't know about rude. That snake wanted to say hello.

But I might of been a bit rude if that was me, running for the hills

Be aware that many species are protected. And if you think we take our fossils seriously, go ahead and screw with a forestry agent or any other enforcement agency.

Now, that said, snake cruelty is different. I did place a 6' hognose snake in a fossil buddies bed in western KS once...

6'??? There are so many things I would like to say...all of which would get me in trouble in this forum. But, I do echo Bullsnake's sentiments. Welcome back to the land of the living, bud!