Brownies Beach Maryland Shell Hunt

Taxman56

When everyone you meet asks, Find any Teeth and you tell them you really not looking for teeth, they give you the "look" and scamper over the next tree or fall.

I never have much luck at picking teeth and didn't feel like sifting, so I was on a shell hunt for the elusive Ecphora. Oh I was so close. I found a lot of little pieces saying to myself maybe I can glue them together.

post-2447-0-82906700-1334286680_thumb.jpg

Then I found 2 nice chunks.post-2447-0-86366900-1334286597_thumb.jpg

Then I thought I hit the jackpot on top a large fall pile. There is was in 2 pieces an almost complete Ecphora (or so I thought). That is until I tried to pick it up. In afterthought maybe next time I'll just shovel it and the dirt underneath it in a container next time. It exploded into several pieces.post-2447-0-14599800-1334286640_thumb.jpg

Venus Shells - are these also called Cytherea Staminea?

post-2447-0-75111400-1334286955_thumb.jpg

Exogyra Oysters - Just amazing how large.

post-2447-0-12549900-1334286986_thumb.jpg

Broken Turitellas - Hoping to find a complete one some daypost-2447-0-69263100-1334286970_thumb.jpg

I didn't have muck luck in identifying these shells. If anyone has some ideas I'll edit my pictures.

This one was in the fine silt boulder, mostly just a layer of mother or pearl, no white shell material.Shell 1post-2447-0-95404300-1334287118_thumb.jpg

Shell 2post-2447-0-20105700-1334287092_thumb.jpg

Shell 3post-2447-0-33587900-1334287100_thumb.jpg

More shells Shell 4 Nice cast found in a fall in the organish color fine gravel from the top layer. Interesting radial internal markings

post-2447-0-60435500-1334287286_thumb.jpg

Shell 5post-2447-0-54542200-1334287274_thumb.jpg

Shell 6post-2447-0-02766800-1334287312_thumb.jpg

Not a bad haul if you ask me. Shark teeth are like the icing on the cake when you go looking along the cliffs. I'd like to find some but all the cool invert shells around me tend to attract my eye more.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

With apologies to Izaak Walton, "Tis not all sharks teeth to fossil". :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've only been to collect at Calvert Cliffs one time. It's quite the drive for me. I've always noticed there aren't alot of Chesapectens posted on the forum. This one time I actualy collected there, was during a fishing trip. I fish there in the fall for Striped Bass. As I ran my boat up-bay, I was watching the beach. I found an area that was covered by thousands of Chesapectens. I motored to this spot, anchored the boat and waded onto shore. They were everywhere. I brought several absolutely perfect specimens, of which there were many, home. I also found an almost perfect Ecphora. I only spent about a half hour looking and collecting. I also found many barnacle "clumps". Almost all, perfectly preserved. Not only were all these shells scattered along the tide line and in the cliff falls, there was a thick layer of them imbedded in the cliff.

I must get back down there soon. I remember clearly where the site was. I'm certain that if I spent some time in there searching there would be some spectacular specimens. When that trip is planned, I'll be sure to invite a couple folks from the forum to join me. I believe it will be a two day event, simply because of the distance involved.

I recognize your story Taxman. When we started fossil hunting, we always went to a small beach in the Netherlands called "De Kaloot". It's well known for all the different kinds of fossil shells you can find there and some other fossils as well. Looking for sharkteeth there was in my eyes not worth the trouble because they're small and poor quality. And yet, everybody is looking for sharkteeth over there. So when they ask you if you found any and you say you're there for the shells, they look at you as if you're from Mars or something. But one of the last times we went there, an encounter with another fossil hunter ruined it for us when she pulled out a 3 inch perfect Great White she just found. Although she admitted herself that it was the first time in over 5 years that she found such a big sharktooth on that beach, we were determined to find one just like it and from then on, we searched for sharkteeth instead of shells and that made every trip a disappointment because of course we didn't find anything. So then I got tired of it and decided to try Antwerp. The best known site for sharkteeth was already closed by then but we found some other spots where we found the most amazing shells and eventually also sharkteeth.

Hope I didn't bore you too much with my story. They may not be sharkteeth but you found some beautiful fossils !

Kind regards, Fabienne.

Wonderful fossils!! I love the bivalves! Sharks teeth are great, but like you said, everyone wants shark teeth.

I find that whenever I go to a site trying to look for one certain fossil or species, I leave frustrated or empty handed. Its the times when I go with an open mind and just focus on what I like to call "pattern recognition", (recognizing the patterns of the bedrock and how it weathers so I notice anything out of the ordinary) I usually come back with great fossils and great satisfaction!

Mollusks are at least as interesting as sharkteeth! Very nice finds!

Fossils: a way of life