Jocky

So I finally got to an area I scouted weeks ago.

This is what I got so excited about:

untitled-2.jpg

I took the photo standing at the bottom of a much bigger gulley and where smaller cuts run into big gulleys gravity separates out the gastropods from the limestone, at least that is the theory. You can see in the picture below the culmination of little and big valleys.

untitled-9.jpg

This is the edge of the outcrop that I spent most of the day on.

untitled-12.jpg

First find was a cute little Bi-valve, a portent of better things.

untitled-1.jpg

Next find, about 2 feet from the first, was a very worn Gastropod. This is what happens when heavy wind and sand get together on a fossil.

untitled-3.jpg

About 2 further away I found another Gastropod in slightly better condition.

untitled-4.jpg

I found several Oyster shells like this one.

untitled-5.jpg

It had rained the day before and these little bushes were popping up.

untitled-7.jpg

There were quite a few shell fragments like this one.

untitled-8.jpg

I came across a cute little Bi- Valve doing its best to hide away.

untitled-10.jpg

I also found loads of Gastropods in matrix, below is an example of one in better condition than most.

untitled-19.jpg

untitled-29.jpg

untitled-31.jpg

Below is an example of a Gastropod kit.

untitled-36.jpg

Below is a couple of before and after pics.

untitled-42.jpg

untitled-43.jpg

untitled-46.jpg

untitled-48.jpg

Find of the day was this little beauty.

untitled-41.jpg

Jocky,

Always good to read about your explorations. :)

I truly enjoy your desert trips and pics. - Great report!

Thanks for bringing me something I would normally never see.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

looks like a tough area to hunt as everything is molds made from the same material as the matrix.

Some nice finds did weather out really nice

Very nice photo's of your finds and I enjoyed the shots of the site and area, it gives 'depth' to to your finds. I have to remember to do the same! Thanks for posting!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Would it be practicable for you to undertake some light excavation there? Unweathered fossils await!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Would it be practicable for you to undertake some light excavation there? Unweathered fossils await!

I have given this a lot of thought and I should try it seriously at least once. I would have to go away from the area in my report as all the finds are in or on limestone bedrock with a few inches of sand on top. There is an area where the sand is deeper we have found loads of poorly preserved shark teeth, maybe the better preserved ones are waiting to be dug up.

It would take a bit of planning as we would have to be in the desert at sunrise to set a proper camp with shade and water supplies. Its already getting towards 40 degrees now so sooner the better.

Just a point about temperatures in the desert. Official temperatures are measured in the shade and this is what you see on the TV weather reports. In the desert there is no shade unless you bring it with you so air temperature becomes the factor we are most interested in and can be as much as 40% higher than the shade temperature.

CHEERS

Jocky as always enjoy your trip reports and amazing finds. It seems like you have yourself an adult sized sandbox. :) The kid in me would stay in there all day. Maybe take me a kiddie pool and fill with water to jump in every few hours or so to cool the body off. Definitely I would be tanned head to toes...:) :) Thanks for sharing also. Hope you do have some of the nicer ones at hom in your collection now...:) Jeff

Very nice pictures from an area that most of us will never get the opportunity to collect......... much appreciated.

Thanks for all the comments.

I will be going back to that area to do a little light excavating. Next bit of equipment to purchase will be a shade.

CHEERS