Some Interesting Indian (Comanche?) Artifact Finds On Spring Mesa In Callahan County, Texas.

gwestbrook

I visited the new Spring Mesa site in Callahan County on my day off from the school district and was busy looking for more Cretaceous specimens when I stumbled upon some evidence that Spring Gap had been an Indian (Comanche?) camp site at sometime in the past. I had been thinking all along that it would have been a good place because of the spring, but did not find anything to verify this on my first visit with mikecable. Though I did not find anything spectacular, it was still very interesting to me.

I first found a very evident knapping site. The flint was in a circular pile, with stones laid around it in a ring...quite possibly the remains of a knapping fire pit.

This made me deviate somewhat from the fossil hunt, because at this point I knew there might be some points or tools lying around. I walked about 3 meters from the pit and found a stone cutting tool or scraper.

Just a meter or so away I found this broken arrow point.

Here is a photo of both the point and the tool.

20 feet further on, I found a second knapping site.

And, right next to that was a possible mortar worn into the rock. Mike guesses that it could have been used to grind minerals for pigment.

As I did not have a lot of time, due to my uncle twisting his ankle, I started back down the mesa to the car. On the way I came across a small rock shelter with evidence of a fire ring beneath it. It would very likely have been just a temporary shelter, as it was only 6 or 7 m long, 1.5 m high and 1.5 m deep. (and, yes, I checked for rattlers before climbing into it) ;)

I can't wait to get back out there and hunt for some more points and tools. I'll post more photos later, if my luck holds out.

Edited by gwestbrook

What a find! Congratulations.

I would probably just have to sit there and stare at it, imagining the history.

Steve

What a find! Congratulations.

I would probably just have to sit there and stare at it, imagining the history.

Yes, me too! That's really what interests me most. My dad is 84, and he tells of a story his great-grandmother used to tell him about a little girl being kidnapped by the Comanches in the late-1860's somewhere in Eastland County (I guess the story was passed down to her). The men of the settlement sent a tracking party to try and find the raiding party, but they were unsuccessful. This story is interesting, because Spring Gap is only 25 miles to the W-SW of Eastland. Who knows....maybe the Comanche raiders used the mortar in the photo to grind pigment for face paint before they made their raid on the settlement. I know it's purely conjecture, but entirely possible. :)

Edited by gwestbrook