Sth Matrix Processing

Govinn

Hey All. I recently acquired some great material from Joe from the bone-bed layer of STH. Thank you Joe for some amazing material. I haven't finished looking thru it yet and will post some pics when I do. I've been trying to break down some of the larger chunks of matrix to get to the smaller fossils contained within. I've tried using vinegar, but that has had no effect. I tried using peroxide and that seems to work a little. It softens things up a little, but doesn't break down the matrix. Does anyone have any suggestions that will break down the matrix to the point that I can gently rinse the material and not damage the fossils? I'm not sure what elements make up the matrix there, so it's hard to tell what will break it down the best. Any suggestions?

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

This is a ground shot from a friend's trip out there. The material I received is very soft dirt/silt, but the harder matrix is something else... it's almost like a hard sand...

post-1369-0-91370000-1334674901_thumb.jpg

~Sir Winston Churchill

You might try adding some Oxy Clean to the peroxide. This is basically sodium carbonate (washing soda) and sodium percarbonate (sort of a dry form of peroxide). I've found it really speeds things up on Jacksboro Finis Shale matrix. It will really bubble and foam, releasing clouds of white water vapor. You'll feel like a mad scientist if it works as well on your material.

Yeah, STH matrix varies from the chunks that break down in just water to the chunks that break down like concrete. In other words they don't break down. I've heard of people experimenting with kerosene and DMSO on various forms of matrix. Be careful with any solvents - know the chemicals and take all safety precautions.

Hey All. I recently acquired some great material from Joe from the bone-bed layer of STH. Thank you Joe for some amazing material. I haven't finished looking thru it yet and will post some pics when I do. I've been trying to break down some of the larger chunks of matrix to get to the smaller fossils contained within. I've tried using vinegar, but that has had no effect. I tried using peroxide and that seems to work a little. It softens things up a little, but doesn't break down the matrix. Does anyone have any suggestions that will break down the matrix to the point that I can gently rinse the material and not damage the fossils? I'm not sure what elements make up the matrix there, so it's hard to tell what will break it down the best. Any suggestions?

I just broke down the hard ones with a hammer and chisel (small size) and washed them a few times. Washing and drying does a little, but not much. After they stopped breaking down, I just trashed them.

I just broke down the hard ones with a hammer and chisel (small size) and washed them a few times. Washing and drying does a little, but not much. After they stopped breaking down, I just trashed them.

eeekkk!!! trash them? STH material is not readily available for me, so I must make the best of what I have... I can imagine all those awesome little fossils screaming "NOOOOOO" as they make their way from your tray to the bottom of the trash can... LOL

I guess I'll just hang on to it until someone invents a way to break this stuff down... Thanks everyone!

~Sir Winston Churchill

ok, HAVING SAID THAT, how about manuallly taking them apart... tapping with hammer and chisel and examioning every new surface?

I only did juse lots of time a sharp needle and a tooth bruch and a littel water.

The big hastalis sits in hard matrix and a vew soft parts with in.

The hemi togther with the other two teeth sit in hard sand matrix and was good to work with.

The tiger is sitting in hard matrix.

Greetings Erik

post-4937-0-66762200-1334944813_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-03043800-1334944827_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-91007700-1334945199_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-63524600-1334945296_thumb.jpg

ok, HAVING SAID THAT, how about manuallly taking them apart... tapping with hammer and chisel and examioning every new surface?

Thank you jpc, I hope you know I was only kidding. :D

The matrix I have is somewhat small... most pieces are the size of a grape. It came from a trade I did with Joe and I was just looking to soak it in something to finish breaking down the small pieces. I may have to take a hammer and tap it lightly to see what breaks open and then use a needle like Erik (BTW, thanks Erik) mentioned to work on any exposed fossils.

~Sir Winston Churchill

I had a few small sections that I just couldn't get to break down also. They were the darker gray material that looked like salt and pepper mixed together. Well it was winter and I was working outside and forgot to put them away one night and it rained and then froze. To my surprise the freezing and then thawing worked well for breaking them down. You might try soaking a piece and freezing and thawing it to see if it will work on your type matrix.

Thanks OB1! I'll have to get that a try. If ice can crack roads and buildings then I'm sure it can break apart a little matrix... ;)

~Sir Winston Churchill

Yeah, thanks for the input, obsessed1...

I'm gonna go dig my hard chunks out of the trash...

Edited by jpc