? About Hunting

tj102569

I found a spot that has yielded sharks teeth. It is by a creek. SO my ? is , should I be looking for sediment deposits along the shore to sift through, or do I dig in the mud along the banks to sift through that stuff.?

Thanks for your guidance.... I'm excited, this is my first expedition.

Trevor

Did you find the teeth loose on the banks or in/on gravel? The teeth could be everywhere or concentrated in one layer and just accumulating in the stream bed. By example at the classic Big Brook site in NJ almost all of the teeth are coming out of a very thin lag deposit that crops out upstream but has been shedding it's contents for so long and in such abundance that almost every gravel bar contains plenty. If you want teeth you surface collect the gravel bars or screen them. In other places like the Eagle Ford group here in Texas some formations have teeth through out and working the layers would be most productive. Your going to have to try both.

In a creek or river, the moving water sorts stuff by size/density; look for gravel bars/beds, and search them. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Specifics may vary by location, but here in TX the Cretaceous shark tooth bearing beds are often thin, as in 1-3 inches thick or less, composed of shell hash, often with phosphate pellets colored brown, black, or gray. Sometimes teeth are stuck to the surface of limestone slabs immediately above or below these soft shell hash layers. When you find the source, if you are able to mine it, sometimes the bigger teeth have settled to the bottom of the productive zone before lithification. See if you can run down anything on local geology that is more specific to your area.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

@TJ You found Shark Teeth in Souix Falls South Dakota??

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."