Calvert Cliffs, Md Collecting Tips

revasius

The family and I will be headed to Calvert Cliff, MD this August. We will be staying at the Matoaka Beach Cabins for the second time. Last year we did well finding small and some medium sized teeth. Largest were from snaggletooth sharks. No whole Mako or Megs yet. My question is; is there a greater chance of finding bigger teeth further in the water versus the shell line at low tide?

Thank you,

Rich

Yes, but they are often hard to recognize, being covered in algae & etc...

Low tide and a glass-bottomed bucket is a technique I have used to some (limited) success. Wade out to the large gravel/rocks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The near-shore water there can be pretty murky in August, so be prepared for "delayed gratification". ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good times. The jellyfish will be in full force as well.... :(

That depends. Last year I hardly saw them and didn't get stung once. 2010 they were everywhere and you could barely paddle through the water they were so thick at times. Same deal on the water. I've seen crystal clear visibility in August and I've had zero visibility. The key to summer vis is early early early before the wind and boaters get out. Usually after the sun picks up and the wind kicks in it is over for vis and same deal on the first boat wake that hits the beach. Bottom line... you never know til you go.