Eastern South Dakota Hunt - Day Two Finds

tj102569

My son and I went to a friends house who took some material from his quarry here he works. Gave us 11 - 5 gallon buckets of material to go through, beings I couldn't dig on site due to insurance issues. My son (11 yr old) and I had so much fun. We got through 2 buckets and found tons of sharks teeth, (dont know from what type of shark) Probably around 80 teeth total. Two different kinds, most like what you would assume to see and others looked more like bumps or hills. (need some help identifying these please) . We also found rocks with what I would assume is wood, but again we are brand new to this so I dont know. We then found several rocks that looked like seeds, and some that were perfectly round, but had a line down the middle. And I think we found one vert, but I couldn't find it in my book. It was an awesome day, can't wait to finish the buckets.

IMG_1347.jpgIMG_1348.jpgIMG_1356.jpg

Edited by tj102569

So cool I want a bucket too. :)

The pic with the rock also looks like a possible shark vert in it, I think I can see the outline of actual vert there. Or maybe these ole eyes are playing tricks haha. :) Sorry cannot help on ID's though and some are probally to worn or broken for definite ID's. I wish I had a friend like that. :) Jeff

Edited by Tarheel59

Those buckets are treasure chests full of Cretaceous coolness!

The teeth in the third picture are from Ptychodus, a lineage of sharks adapted to shell-crushing. LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You got some nice teeth in there. I've collected my share of Cretaceous sharks here in WY and have only found one anythng close to the size of your big ones. nice haul. Yes, the bumpy ones are Ptychodus, long skinny ones are probably Scapanorhynchus, the big ones might be Cretolamna. I'm no expert, but if they were in my collection, that's what I'd call them.

Nice shark teeth, the second picture the larger teeth opposite of the quarter are Cretoxyrhina mantelli, am sure there are Cretolamna appendiculate but need closer look. Pix #3 is a shark vert and #4 are from a shark Ptychodus whipplei----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

The big vert is probably from an X-fish. Can't tell what the bone is from. Do you have any idea what layer this rock is coming from? Looks like a ton of fossils for just a couple buckets!

(Love the wiki ptychodus external link from the BBC ;) )

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I really dont know what layer, according to the guy I got it from it is the top 3 ft , on top of the granite. A professor from a local college ranged it from 75-100 million years old

my sons favorite. He pounded this out of a rock that was really solid. I am amazed he didn't break it.

IMAG0046.jpg

What a great deal! Buckets of Cretaceous joy! The Shark teeth IDs appear to be right on. That last pic looks like a shark vert for sure. I would bet money the tooth with 3 points below it is a lateral Cretolamna Appendiculata.

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

The big vert is probably from an X-fish...

Does that look like an X-fish vert? It almost reminds me of one from plesiosaur...

The second vert is from a shark, for sure.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I suppose that could be pleisosaur. The size is about what I find the "average" X-fish vert to be in the chalk. I can't see any processes or holes on it, so it might be reptile. :wacko:

Ramo

I also just noticed it isn't completely round.

Edited by bowkill

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

It has been fun every day since Sat when we got them. I have handed out sharks teeth to at least 15 kids and gave rock to at least 3 adults who may be interested in getting started.... WOW... sounds like the start to the 1st ever fossil club in eastern SD. I am having the time of my life.... it is soo much fun. Last night found more bones, different sharks teeth... and I think a coral,,, ill get pics soon... I have no idea what it is, but I know it is different material than the other stuff

I have seen a mix of teeth like these from the Carlile Shale - sites in South Dakota. They have that preservation too (same range of color with many of the larger teeth incomplete). I can't say for sure because I don't know the site but I would say that these teeth could be either from the Pool Creek Member or from the Turner Sandy Member of the Carlile.

I agree with Foshunter that the Ptychodus teeth belong to the species, P. whipplei which indicates that they might have come from the Turner Sandy Member, whipplei being abundant there, because it is rare in the Pool Creek. Of course, the teeth could be from a different formation of the same approximate age. In any case, these teeth are roughly Middle-Late Turonian in age which translates roughly to 90-93 million years old.

At least a couple of the bigger teeth might be Cretodus crassidens. I agree with jpc about Scapanorhynchus in the shot and Texas Fossil Hound about C. appendiculata. These sharks are also known from the Carlile. If you can take photos of the teeth at a more direct angle (front and back of each general tooth form, that would help with determining the identifications with more confidence.

There is an interesting review of Carlile Formation sharks in this:

Cicimurri, D.J. 2004.

Late Cretaceous Chondrichthyans from the Carlile Shale (Middle Turonian to Early Coniacian) of the Black Hills Region, South Dakota and Wyoming. The Mountain Geologist. 41(1):1-16.

I really dont know what layer, according to the guy I got it from it is the top 3 ft , on top of the granite. A professor from a local college ranged it from 75-100 million years old