Newbie Mineral Oil Question

louisvillefossiller

I have a few brachiopods and horn coral that I have cleaned up, and would like to display in a riker mount. I thought

that they might look prettier if I put a little mineral oil on them. Does this hurt their value or in some way detract from them scientifically? Or is it just a matter of personal preference? Any consensus out there?Thanks in advance for any responses.

I would never do that. Most fossil enthusiasts only put something on a fossil if it is reversable and if it is needed to help consolidate or glue the fossil.

Some people will coat a fossil with a very dilute solution of acetone and a PVA type plastic (I use Vinac but only for consolidation, Butvar is another one that is used a lot) Some individuals use the clear flat matte krylon spray (Which I would not spray on the fossil but would spray into a container first then paint)

My personal preference is to do nothing with the fossil other than prep except when it needs something to stabalize it. That is not the general case with horn coral or a brach.

A little 50/50 diluted white glue brushed on will give them a slight shine and it is removable.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

A little 50/50 diluted white glue brushed on will give them a slight shine and it is removable.

Cheap and effective, reduces dust, enhances subtle textures and makes even dried clay surprizingly durable. Welcome to The Forum, John

Unless the specimen in question is rare, scientifically significant, expensive or not yours, why not do what you want to it to make it more visually appealing for display! I have found that a bit of clear shoe polish will bring out the natural colors nicely, give it a soft sheen and with a bit of denatured alcohol, can be removed easily if you have to. You will hear opinions from both sides on this issue as I have asked the question myself and gotten many viewpoints, some very adament. Some of the fossils I have found are beautiful just the way I found them, some look better with a little prep and not much more and then there are those that I have put a little shine on! I have seen them painted, cut and polished, clear coated and/or dipped. I have even seen fossils turned into jewelery. I polished up some small crinoid stems that I am going to make a pair of earrings out of. Here is just one of many examples. https://www.google.c...91456ce5523e96a I feel like it is definately personal preference what you do to your own fossils especially if you are not ruining the one fossil that can prove or disprove the big bang theory! ;) Here are a couple of brachs that have a bit of clear shoe polish on them.

post-7046-0-25554500-1326428351_thumb.jpg

I did not polish the matrix on these but I have a few that I polished the matrix also and they turned out kind of neat. It is all matter of aesthetics and I figure the brachs and crinoids around here are a dime a dozen and certainly not "valuable" to anyone but me and I have left far more of them in situ than I have "ruined" by polishing! Post up some pics of your fossils! I am curious to see what you do with them :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

If mineral oil gives you the look you want, then use it. I assume these aren't museum grade fossils. Mineral oil is comletely reversible, and is used by bottle collectors to add shine, without the cost of a polishing. It is also completely reversible in any organic solvent, but it will leave a stain as it will flow off of the specimen over time.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Kehbe,I like the pix of the brachs on the map. Very nice presentation!

Louisvillefossilier,They're your fossils, do what you want with them.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks again for the posts. All of them have given good points. I will post pictures as soon as I get my display ready.