Joliet

snakebite6769

Are there any good places to find crinoids or any good fossils in or near Joliet Illinois. I will probably only be here until the 6th of May. any help is appreciated

Theirs not much in the area for well preserved crinoids. Gastro, brach's, cephalo's, corals, and trilo's are a better bet. Not to mention, the famous Mazon creek nodules are in Joliet's back yard! Not sure where exactly you're staying, and how far you're willing to travel, but I'd be happy to clue you in on a few of my silurian spots if your interested. You can look at my galleries if you go to my profile, and see some of the stuff i find here. If you're interested let me know. I can PM directions to you for some of the outcroppings...

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

That would be great, they pushed my flight to Thursday night so I have all day Wednesday and Thursday morning to find my memorable trilobite which has eluded me so far. Thanks

Update...

Snakebite6769 found the spot that i had directed him too, found a few goodies, and left one for me hidden down in the parking lot where he parked. :) I'm always happy to help out a fellow forum member! :D Glad their was some fruit in his harvest!

Great news. With my job I travel all over and always find forum members willing to point me in a good direction. If any of you members find yourselves driving across KS let me know and I will be happy to return the favor!

Ramo

(Lets see some photos, snakebite)

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I will post them as soon as I can as I am currently still stuck at the airport due to hail and severe t-storms.

Well I made it home, at almost 5 am. Slept a good portion of the day seeing I was awake for about 23 hours on less than sufficient sleep. I will post pics Saturday.

Your silurian period shell in middle has look of an Illenid like cephalon (trilobite)

Others may comment about it but I think you got a trilobite there also????

Other angles would confirm more in case I am just looking at it wrong.

russ

That's exactly what you have there! A cephalon or a glabella from a illaenus inperator trilobite! Fantastic find my friend! :)

Maybe you can find the rest of it Rob. Look under the bridge. I popped off a rock sticking out of the ground by the pylon.

I saw where you'd been spitting rocks under the bridge. ;) Did this trilo come out of what you'd split, or was it a surface find? BTW I'm going to give you one of these too. :Bananasaur: :D

Yeah it was from one I split under the overpass. I shipped my hammer because I cant take it on airplanes. So I popped it out with a piece of another stone. Guess it was my caveman instincts, lol.

Well, your instincts worked just fine! I'm just happy that you were able to find a trilobite. Next time you're in town make sure you look me up. I'll take you to a couple of other places. This week 1 of the other for a members will be in town, and I've given him the same directions to the same location. I hope he has the same luck that you did!

I hope so, I should have looked further down on the stone, maybe the rest was staring at me and I just didn't recognize it. I am also anxious to go back to Mazon Creek. Well the trilobite has not eluded me I guess, I just didn't recognize this as being part of one as I am used to the typically round shape.

Rob, I am in Shytown for another week+, I have some family obligations but would like to go out for a short pick 'em up if you're interested... I can hop a train to the western burbs or praps borrow the car. Mazon would be nice, havent been there in a couple...but any crick would dew. John

Absolutely john! I'll pm you when I get home from my sons rugby tourney.