Shark Teeth From Italy And Portugal

Fabienne

Hello everyone,

I would love see your sharkteeth from Italy and Portugal since they're not that common and I find them so beautiful.

Here's my meg from Salento (Italy)

post-6809-0-05033000-1336235007_thumb.jpg

Sadly enough, it has a piece cut off on the other side from the sawblade in the quarry. But I still think it's my number one meg.

I hope to see lots of beautiful teeth. :)

Grtz, Fabienne

It looks great to me! :D I don't have any teeth from here, so I am intrigued to see some others have too. :)

Edited by Kosmoceras

Machine cut or not, that is a very nice meg from a country where few such teeth are found.

The shark tooth is not a meg, if you look closely you can see a cusp

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

The shark tooth is not a meg, if you look closely you can see a cusp

C. chubutensis? A lot depends on the age of the formation. If it's Miocene/Pliocene, there are cusped Megs known.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The formation is late Miocene. I also thought it was a chubutensis because of the cusp but it appears that only megs come out of this quarry so it probably is a meg with cusps.

The formation is late Miocene. I also thought it was a chubutensis because of the cusp but it appears that only megs come out of this quarry so it probably is a meg with cusps.

Definetely an angustiden/chubutensis, the cusp is too clearly defined.. Are you sure that it's middle Miocene? All the teeth I've seen from Italy are early Miocene.

Man, one heck of a tooth.

I am voting for chub/angu though...that cusp is really pronounced.

Gotta go get me one of these,

Joe

Some meg teeth from Salento, Italy (Naples, Museum of Paleontology )

post-4634-0-39695600-1336287879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raff

I've had this whole discussion before on the Dutch fossil forum. I thought that the tooth was chubutensis or even angustidens because of the side cusp. I even sent an email to Jim Bourdon and his conclusion was, if the formation is Middle Miocene, that the tooth is chrono-species : C.chubutensis and morpho-species : C.angustidens. But a member of the forum who is familiar with the quarry in Salento said that the formation is Late Miocene- Early Pliocene and that only megs come out of this quarry so it has to be a meg with side cusps.

I have personally no documentation or info whatsoever about this quarry so I have to trust on someone who does. I couldn't ask the seller because I don't speak Italian but the tooth was also sold to me as being a meg.

Anyway, it was not my intention to get a discussion started (although any info about this quarry is always welcome) but to see some beautiful Italian or Portugese megs so keep them coming. :D

Grtz, Fabienne

You can see from the morphology that it is definitely not a meg, therefore it is not late Miocene/Pliocene (I haven't seen any from Italy that are). Perhaps there is an unconformity exposed at the quarry, but that tooth came from the early-Miocene.