I Found A Triceratops!

chele

Welcome back.

By coincidence, the forum was acting goofy a day or two ago. I was unable to post for a few hours. Perish the thought. :)

Context is critical.

Really good to hear from you, Chele!

We've just installed some software 'upgrades', so if the Forum doesn't want to cooperate, clear yous browser cache; it should help.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Oh my, that is spectacular!!! :envy: Looks really nice cleaned up! I can only imagine what it was like to find something as big (physically and scientifically). Looking forwards to seeing more pictures! B)

great to see you here chele, and looking forward to your photos

Carmine :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Thanks guys! We have not had much snow, just bitter cold. Last week it was 38 below zero! Then a week later it was 50 above. Blaine had to go out that day to find a couple of missing cows. On the way he found a very interesting spot. He found some large therapod bones partially buried. The ground was still frozen so he could not get them out without damaging them. He did bring a large end of a femur home. It is in very nice condition and detailed. I will try to add some photos of that as well.

Chelebele

I can not find the photos I downloaded of the whole nose section so I put on an older one missing the upper jaw and nasal bones. It is not fully prepped in the photo but it will give you an idea. The other photo is of a large femur bone we found at the second trike site. It is huge! It is a beautiful bone. The color is amazing. It is still in the jacket. You can judge the size of the bone better while it was still strapped the the 4 wheeler. That bone was so heavy! We also have some 24" complete vertebrae from that site also. All the bones from the second site are very solid bone.

post-5476-0-48506200-1361327810_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-81737900-1361327976_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

Wow....amazing! And I was happy about my leaf fossil i found haha......i can only imagine the excitement upon finding this one! Great find Chele

That is absolutely incredible!!! The size of the head alone is fantastic!!! Congratulations again!!!!!

Edited by Joyce

Very nice you are back, Chele!!! :meg dance:

Thanks for the updates on the Triceratops progress and for the amazing new finds!!! :wub:

All folks are waiting for more news and pics when possible... :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Congrats!

Is it common to find large fossils in Montana?

If you have access to private lands with Hell Creek Formation exposures, dinosaurs are there to be had!

Finding them, though, is the easiest part...collecting and preparing them is a big job.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What awesome adventures you have! It's fantastic that you and Blaine and your associates have been able to preserve and prepare these wonder-ful critters. Thanks for sharing the "fun" with us.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

If you have access to private lands with Hell Creek Formation exposures, dinosaurs are there to be had!

Finding them, though, is the easiest part...collecting and preparing them is a big job.

You are so right! Finding them is easy. The removal sometimes is a very daunting and sometimes dangerous. I have yet to find something on a nice flat surface that you can just drive to. The prep on the large bones is very time consuming and expensive. In the long run It is all worth it!

Chelebele

• 2 weeks later...

I had taken some new photos of the Triceratops. What a surprise once we got this section put together! Instead of just having the upper beak we have the upper and lower! :o They are stuck together. What we thought was the upper jaw turned out to be the lower jaw. We still have alot of bones to clen up and attach yet so it will take a while longer before the skull is restored. I am very happy to have both upper and lower beaks! :D

post-5476-0-70426300-1362970104_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

I know it is gonna take more time because they're together like that but how exciting to know you've got more pieces than you thought!! :)

I had taken some new photos of the Triceratops. What a surprise once we got this section put together! Instead of just having the upper beak we have the upper and lower! :o They are stuck together. What we thought was the upper jaw turned out to be the lower jaw. We still have alot of bones to clen up and attach yet so it will take a while longer before the skull is restored. I am very happy to have both upper and lower beaks! :D

Chele, what is your husband holding? I googled Triceratops skeletons and am having trouble matching up what he is holding to the "snout". If you can tell me what the pointy section is pointing up at him I can prolly figure out the orientation etc.

What an awesome specimen so far - can't wait to see it put together. Can't remember if I asked already, do you get to keep it?

Daryl.

Chele, what is your husband holding? I googled Triceratops skeletons and am having trouble matching up what he is holding to the "snout". If you can tell me what the pointy section is pointing up at him I can prolly figure out the orientation etc.

Something like this, I think:

post-6808-0-43121100-1363114091_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

chele-

that snout is fantastic. Great job on the prep.

Thank you jpc! The prep is very time consuming and a little expensive. We go through a lot of sodium bicabonate.

Chelebele