Please help me identify a TOOTH?

ravenloft

• New Members

I have found what I believe to be a tooth, but of what, I cannot say. This fossil was found in a seasonal wash, shortly after it had run. I live in central AZ, near the NM boarder, if that helps at all. It is a big tooth! its about 3" from top to bottom and about 2" at its widest point. I dont see how it could be anything other than a tooth as it is so semmetrical when looking at it from the front and back. at this point, it looks very much like stone, unlike other dino teeth I have seen, but who knows how long it has been tumbling around in the sand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-785-1221866757_thumb.jpg

post-785-1221866780_thumb.jpg

post-785-1221866808_thumb.jpg

post-785-1221866836_thumb.jpg

First of all, I am not certain that is a tooth (hope I'm wrong), but it

doesn't look like enamel on the tooth. I can't see it clearly

enough either. I hate to ask you, but could you take a closeup of it

without a flash? I think the glare makes it hard to see.

Lots of tooth experts on here, so you will find out, but pretty sure a clearer

pic would help in any case.

Welcome to the forum!

Guest N.AL.hunter

This does not look like any tooth I know, but it could be a very worn Claw from something. My first thought was from a sloth, but honestly not sure what it is.

Guest bmorefossil
Really stretching the imagination here...could it be a crocodile scute from the tail region where they stick out?

wow that is really really stretching the imagination but the funny thing is that i can see what your talking about lol. nice one

• New Members

OK, I have new pics for you to view in natural sunlight. also, I forgot to mention, there appears to be a fossil on the fossil, kind of cool, i thought, looks like a shell, its can be seen clearly on the last pic. Also, thank you all for your input!

post-785-1222015579_thumb.jpg

post-785-1222015602_thumb.jpg

post-785-1222015617_thumb.jpg

post-785-1222015743_thumb.jpg

post-785-1222015811_thumb.jpg

post-785-1222015888_thumb.jpg

post-785-1222015922_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

I'm not familiar with your area, or vertebrates, but I don't think it is a fossil. To me, it looks like a piece of cherty limestone that has been rounded by stream action.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Now that I see the brachiopod fossil on it, this appears to be a very worn chert nodule; therefore, it is not a fossil itself (unless you want to count some possible sponge spicules).

I have toa gree again with Solius; two diferent coloured rocks that are heavely weathered, one of them with fossils (the brown brachiopod one) Sorry! ;)

• New Members

OH, Bummer! Its really cool anyways. I want to thank you all for your input!!! I will be posting a few others as I am new to the fossils and I live in an area full of them....in fact our town dump is the site of an old fossil dig where they found lots of bones, go figure :wacko: