Alligator Or Turtle Humerus? (Another Galveston Bay Dredge Spoils Puzzle)

darrow

A couple weeks a what looked like a curved diaphysis cleanly split doen the middle was exposed in the clay and sand when the water receeded preceeding the wake of a large heavily loaded tanker. When I got home I matched it up with the big end I four about months ago and over the last couple weeks matched up another 3 smaller pieces from my miscellaneous cylindrical fragment box collected from the site over the last couple years. Up close the bone just lookes different than the mammal material I typically find... kinda looks stringy or splinterie like fish bone but not really. Internet searches and a trip to the Houston Museaum of Natrual Science (the new Palentology hall is huge and almost overwhelming) and best I can determine is maybe an Alligator or Turtle humerus?

Darrow

post-3218-0-22981400-1338661752_thumb.jpg

You're doing good!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'