Still Some Bugs In The Website?

fossilcrazy

Going through the Fossil Forum I find highlighted phrases that if clicked upon, they will bring you to commercial websites. I'd like to think I can keep my composure, but when it comes to hackers, I feel like choking them (figuratively speaking that is. I don't want this message deleted for violent or threatening content). Is that playing into their hands?

Can you give me a link to the post? I can't find it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The main thing that I have noticed so far is that topics I have definately not read are showing as having been read, but it seems kind of random.

The main thing that I have noticed so far is that topics I have definately not read are showing as having been read, but it seems kind of random.

Yeah, this is pretty annoying, and the randomness isn't making it any easier to isolate the cause...

We'll lick it, though!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Yeah, this is pretty annoying, and the randomness isn't making it any easier to isolate the cause...

We'll lick it, though!

Glad to hear its being worked on, I find this frustrating as well. Truthfully though its a small price to pay to get access to the forum again. One thing I find more annoying is that McAfee is still listing TFF as an attack page. As such, any time I load a new page, image, anything I have a big red bar at the top of the screen that says "Warning: Dangerous Site." I'm not sure how to let them know that the Forum has been rebuilt and is now virus free.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

None of these anomalies appear on my screen. What browser are you using? At a minimum, you should clear your cache and run a scan!

Auspex, I just checked out some of the pages that fossil crazy listed in his post and they all appear normal without links to me (I am using IE 9). I suspect he has an infection of sometype on his PC that is hijacking the pages and inserting the links. This is a common malware / adware practice. Google does it all the time when they insert google ads that are based on content..... He should try downloading the free version of Malwarebytes and doing a full scan. It is quite good at fixing these things.

Edited by Malcolmt

I agree, Malcolm; the Forum itself is squeaky-clean.

Site just crashed twice when trying to see the full list of members on the site (forum main page)

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40 bytes) in /users2/data/t/thefossi-85990/public_html/admin/sources/classes/itemmarking/classItemMarking.php on line 1171

I got that message a couple days ago on another search; it cleared up right away, though. We haven't figured out what the problem is...there is still stuff happening in the background that we may be tripping over occasionally.

Try it again (it just worked OK for me).

fossilcrazy,

Your problem sounds like some kind of adware on your browser. Sometimes if you download a game or any kind of software, there will be fine print in the user agreement that says you agree to letting them download some kind of toolbar or other software to your computer. The purpose of it is to make you view ads. When you see an ad, the person who wrote the software gets money.

Try a different browser.. I'll bet that fixes the problem. If it does, try clearing your cache, cookies...everything. Then check in the installed "addons" for anything you didn't put there as well as the toolbars.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

MalcolmT,

Thanks for bringing that error up. Auspex had it once before, but we thought it had been fixed.

-Cris

youtube-logo-png-46031.png