More Interesting Pennsylvanian Gastropods

Kehbe

I found these last week at a spot that really has been picked over pretty good for years, http://www.geospectr...ology/geo02.jpg 470 and Raytown Rd. I was in that area and thought I would stop for just a few minutes. This cut exposes a good portion of the Bethany Falls and the Winterset Limestones. These gastro's were found in the Winterset. This piece was cracked when I found it and as soon as i picked it up, it fell apart, had it not, I would never have seen this neat crystalization. What I find interesting about them is the internal preservation. It is a very dark brown, crystaline substance. Not what I think of as 'geodized' because there is no void, instead it is solid and the entire cavity has been replaced with mineral. I just thought this was interesting and hope you find it interesting as well! Thanks for looking! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-32996100-1339163439_thumb.jpg

pic2 post-7046-0-13367000-1339163474_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-41718400-1339163500_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

those are cool! I find some in the Ordo that are clear crystal and weathered out.

Id love to have an opalized one from Australia!

post-2953-0-78813500-1339172042_thumb.jpg

Edited by JimB88