QUIZ - IDENTIFY THIS BONE IF YOU CAN

Harry Pristis

Here's a quiz: What is this bone and what taxon does it represent?

There are representatives of this taxon found world-wide over a long span of geological time.

Partial answers win no gold.

post-42-1222106556_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I like this game, only in this case I really stand the chance of demonstrating consummate ignorance. What span of geological time are we talking? Marine or terrestrial?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

No close guess, so far. You might find a representative of this group of animals almost anywhere in Texas, Dan, but certainly in the Tertiary deposits.

No tricks here -- this is a complete bone from a familiar animal. Keep trying.

What seest thou else

Might be, T. m. latirostris, Florida manatee.

NAME - manatee, Florida

OTHER COMMON NAMES -

ELEMENT CODE - 03/16/84

AOU CODE - 04/29/85

CATEGORY - Marine Mammals

PHYLUM AND SUBPHYLUM - Chordata,

CLASS AND SUBCLASS - Mammalia, Theria

ORDER AND SUBORDER - Sirenia,

FAMILY AND SUBFAMILY - Trichechidae,

GENUS AND SUBGENUS - Trichechus,

SPECIES AND SSP - manatus,

SCIENTIFIC NAME - Trichechus manatus

AUTHORITY - Linnaeus 1758

Could be what you said though, Worthy

Welcome to the forum!

Without being able to see the reverse (and likely more diagnostic) side of this bone...I'd suspect an ischium of a plantigrade, occasionallly bipedal mammal...perhaps one of the xenarthrans (Order Pilosa, Suborder Folivora) or possibly even an Ursid. It looks like we've got an acetablulum present with an articulating surface (shown in the first view) for a matching bone on the other side of the pelvis. Right off the top of my head, the only other 'common' animal that would have such a broad ischium and would have inhabited Florida is Homo...but that's ruled out by the Miocene date. I suppose I could drag out a bunch of the osteology texts and try to pinpoint this one but I'll see if anybody else nails it first because I just got home from work and I'm too darned tired to put forth that much effort!! :wacko:

Oh...since you say it is a world-wide taxon then I'll have to lean my guess more toward an Ursid than one of the Xenarthra.

In other (less scientificese) words...I'm leaning toward part of a bear hip.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Some sort of horse skull bone? Probably not. And I don't have a complete horse skull to compare to. Turtle/tortoise and horse are the most common Pleistocene/Pliocene/Miocene terrestrial vert finds in TX in my limited experience.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I put my money on some type of horse!

I'm probably wrong though :o:P

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Harry - very good idea and cool quiz. If it was a shark tooth, I might have a chance!

Not my area - and I know you do not give partial credit. So, you have given the hints of obscure bone, ubiquitous taxon, Tertiary, and throughout Texas (Tertiary deposits). You have also said no to turtle,

I would have sworn turtle, but sine we already have a no, my guess then would be a member of the Crocodylidae - looks similar to a few skull fragments I have. But again, what the heck do I know - it's all about the sharks and rays for me...

Here's a quiz: What is this bone and what taxon does it represent?

Partial answers win no gold.

It's not a sirenian, it's not a horse, it's not a turtle, it's not a bear, it's not a xenarthran.

Here's an image of the reverse side of the bone to reassure viewers that I am not hiding the really diagnostic features from you.

post-42-1222213832_thumb.jpg

Here's a big clue: This is not a cranial bone.

What seest thou else

Nope. Not a scapula, not a dog, not an armadillo (which is a xenarthran), not a bison.

Atropicallondon is taking the right tack -- there are many possible taxa, but relatively few bones this could be. Identify the bone, and the taxon will become evident.

Giveaway clue: Dogs, bison, and humans have this bone, though it is fused to another bone in these taxa, and may go by another name.

What seest thou else

Nope, this bone is not from a camelid, though there is a homologue in the camel skeleton (as there is in the human skeleton).

Identify the bone, and all will become clear to you!!

What seest thou else

Nope. Not a scapula, not a dog, not an armadillo (which is a xenarthran), not a bison.

Atropicallondon is taking the right tack -- there are many possible taxa, but relatively few bones this could be. Identify the bone, and the taxon will become evident.

Giveaway clue: Dogs, bison, and humans have this bone, though it is fused to another bone in these taxa, and may go by another name.

Fused...hmm...sacrum? I like sacrum...but of what I don't know.