Warfield Fossils And Other Pay To Dig Sites In Area

Ramo

During vacation, I'm considering taking the family to Warfield fossils to dig some Green River fish. Can you drive a car with low ground clearance there? Does anyone have any advice for other places where I could take the kids and expect to find a few things? Kids are 9-12 years old.

Thanks,

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Ramo,

The last time I visited out there you were able to get low clearance vehicles back to the quarries. You will need to go slow at some spots and be careful but they try to maintain the roads so that anyone can drive back there. Otherwise they wouldn't get many tourists. I'd suggest calling them ahead of time to see how the roads are. It's a nice operation and top notch with service and assistance.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

When I was there, I parked at the lot by the shop and drove to the quarry in a pickup with my guide. I had a great time, first-rate operation IMHO. I showed up cold (no appointment) on about the last day of the season, and they made me feel welcome. Came away with several each of Diplomystus and Knightia, one each of Priscicaria and Mioplosus, and an almost-complete Phareodus (body all there but fins missing), all in a half-day trip.

Don

Lots of options right in the town squre- you can either drive or get a ride- I've taken the kids there on a few occassions- different quarry each time- always had fun.

Bring boxes and soft packing material so you don't damage your finds on the way home. You might get some advice on the forum as to best preservation methods for the ride home and once you get home.. I saw one fellow in a shop "paint " his fish with dilute Elmers glue.