Is This News? Dinosaurs On Billboards...

Scylla

Faith cannot disprove science, anymore than science can argue faith. Stephen J. Gould published an essay called "Non-Overlapping Magisteria", which sums up, quite logically, the appropriate relationship between science and faith:

"The magisterium of science covers the empirical realm: what the Universe is made of (fact) and why does it work in this way (theory). The magisterium of religion extends over questions of ultimate meaning and moral value. These two magisteria do not overlap, nor do they encompass all inquiry (consider, for example, the magisterium of art and the meaning of beauty)."

The futility of argument between the magesteria is beautifully exposed by Gould's careful logic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Faith cannot disprove science, anymore than science can argue faith. Stephen J. Gould published an essay called "Non-Overlapping Magisteria", which sums up, quite logically, the appropriate relationship between science and faith:

"The magisterium of science covers the empirical realm: what the Universe is made of (fact) and why does it work in this way (theory). The magisterium of religion extends over questions of ultimate meaning and moral value. These two magisteria do not overlap, nor do they encompass all inquiry (consider, for example, the magisterium of art and the meaning of beauty)."

The futility of argument between the magesteria is beautifully exposed by Gould's careful logic.

Wow. I had not seen that quote. That's beautifully said. I'm filing that one away.....