Stanley Co., Nc Sites?

masonboro37

I am going to Montgomery Co., NC soon. I lived there years ago and used to investigate out the natural streams and Uwharrie forest areas. I have heard that in Stanley Co., NC which is right up the road from Montgomery, Co. there are some areas for collecting. I have been looking online and I am not really finding alot any info. I did come across the town Oakboro and that there is a Mesozoic area. I have been studying the NC slate belt and see that there is a Jurassic layer which extends into the Piedmont basin. Just finding and getting access is a question I have too. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Libby

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Assuming you mean Stanly County (no "e"), all I can recall hearing about are some extremely rare precambrian Ediacarian type fossils. By rare I mean a small handfull of specimens despite significant effort by university researchers since the first one was found by accident in the 1970s. There might be other things there, I just don't know about it. Maybe some Triassic? It seems too far inland for the coastal plain Cretaceous and later formations.

Don

Assuming you mean Stanly County (no "e"), all I can recall hearing about are some extremely rare precambrian Ediacarian type fossils. By rare I mean a small handfull of specimens despite significant effort by university researchers since the first one was found by accident in the 1970s. There might be other things there, I just don't know about it. Maybe some Triassic? It seems too far inland for the coastal plain Cretaceous and later formations.

Don

Thanks Don. Yep, Stanly w/o the e. Oops. Hmmm, I will keep researching. Have a great weekend!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".