Fossil Coral In Mexico

TheFossilHunter

So, I happened to travel to mexico today for vacation, and found a bunch of corals on the beach of Cozumel Island. Picture attached. Does anyone know if this is recent coral or fossil coral and if yes, what age? I do see a lot of other pieces of limestone scattered around with fossils in it, but not sure about the corals

Thanks!

post-268-0-58491600-1339905847_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheFossilHunter

I have found identical corals near Cancun as well. I suspect they are fossils also because I have found some inland, but I can't wait to see what the experts say.

I cant believe we dont have one mexican fossils expert here! Not sure if i should collect lots of these or not. All depends on what the forum says they are!!!

Whether it's recent or fossil, do not try to take it home. Mexico has strict laws about exporting or even picking up fossils. They are treated as national treasures like their artifacts. They may be cracking down on modern shells/invertebrates too. American customs might even confiscate the items if they get past the border. It's sad because back in the 70's and before, nobody cared if you left the country with fossils.

I know of a Mexican museum official who was arrested and jailed for collecting ammonites (forgot to bring his permit?). He happened to have government connections but it was still a couple of weeks before he was released. Imagine how a foreigner with no connections would be treated. They are not going to accept "I didn't know" as an excuse.

So, I happened to travel to mexico today for vacation, and found a bunch of corals on the beach of Cozumel Island. Picture attached. Does anyone know if this is recent coral or fossil coral and if yes, what age? I do see a lot of other pieces of limestone scattered around with fossils in it, but not sure about the corals

Thanks!

Edited by siteseer

I was under the impression that fossils are ok to collect and. Export but not the live animals, like live molluscs etc. ill try to research it. Thanks

To see if they are fossils first see are they heavy ? Modern corals are light because they are maid up of calcium carbonate ? As for finding them a ways inland there are hurricanes that carry them far in to land and the corals get dropped off ;) hope this can be a help to u thanks

Edited by DLB

I agree with Siteseer, all I brought home was loots of photo's of the same sort of things

Just get get stopped at customs and see what happens, even if you bought something

like shells at a store in a bag with a reset you could loss them :(