You Bit My Turtle

Foshunter

This is the plastron, bottom plate, of an unknown marine turtle that was found in the North Sulphur River. I wish there was more of it but what I have shows that a Mosasaur will take a bite out of anything that swims. The bottom bite impressions illustrate the front teeth clamping down on the bottom plate also a few teeth marks to the right where the Mos. took a second bite of the apple. The piece is 8 by 8 inches at it's widest and 1/2 inch thick. Mosasaurs were like alligators, if it fits in the mouth swallow, if not, tear it to pieces then down the tube, they weren't selective eaters.---Tom

post-3940-0-31541100-1339944704_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-38010600-1339944717_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-42914900-1339944725_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-73550300-1339944735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice find! I assume the shell stayed intact since the breaks in the shell are not where the bite marks are. It's a shame one of the teeth didn't remain in the shell.

Would you happend to have any pics of the bottom side of the shell. I would be interested in seeing the bottom side for some compative reasons.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

post-3940-0-49287400-1339947293_thumb.jpgThat is the bottom side, which is flat, top side would be curved, wish I had a part of the top shell at the bite contact--Tom Edited by Foshunter

"Don't Tread On Me"

That is the bottom side, which is flat, top side would be curved, wish I had a part of the top shell at the bite contact--Tom

Sorry, what I was meaning was do you have any pics of the opposite side of these pieces?

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

FAN-TASTIC fossil! :wub:

The physical evidence is unambiguous and incontrovertible; just an awesome piece!

Was it found this month? (hint hint)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

FAN-TASTIC fossil! :wub:

The physical evidence is unambiguous and incontrovertible; just an awesome piece!

Was it found this month? (hint hint)

I wish but no, only found the two pieces went together and glued then in place yesterday----Tom

Edited by Foshunter

"Don't Tread On Me"

Great fossil, I have a large Xiphactinus jaw that has similar indentations in it.

I wonder if they are also from a mosasaur?

• 2 weeks later...

That just shows that Mosasaur would take a bite out of just about anything, the bottom bone on this piece is about 1/2 inch thick and was too thick for it to penetrate.The mystery is did the turtle survive the attack?--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

That is a very nice find, and to find both pieces is something. Thank you for sharing with us.