New Crinoid Cen Texas

thair

Well this was from a month or so ago found by my son when we were out at Lake Brownwood. This is just a fragment but it is of a type I had not found before. If yall are like me I am always excited to discover something new for my collection. I also included a couple pictures of some snails Russell found near Waco with neat preservation.

Cen Texas Penn. for crinoid and Cretaceous for snails.

post-3664-0-76299500-1340382056_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-52799800-1340382083_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-01972300-1340382104_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-73092200-1340382126_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-91283700-1340382144_thumb.jpg

What a beauty! How big is it? Did you find it at the spillway? I missed a chance to collect there with DPS a month ago but plan to go whenever I can get away.

The only gastros with that shape I've found at Waco were steinkerns but your son's look like external casts. Similar but not quite the same. Is the last pic a calcite snail? It looks translucent.

I love the crinoid. It looks like a holdover from the Mississippian.

Context is critical.

very nice find! I agree with you, Im always excited to find something new for my collection no matter what it is, perhaps the only thing more exciting is finding something new for my collection in a place I didnt expect it to be found :)

Nice. I found a few of those calcite preserved guys. The cool thing about them is that the outside pattern is preserved. I can't remember what formation kicks those out.