All From One Little Piece Of Shale

mikeymig

When I was collecting yesterday 6/23, I stopped for a break and walked around my dig. I saw a small piece of shale with trilobite parts on it and pulled it off the hill near the stream I was in. The parts were just that, parts, but I opened the rock up anyaway. The rock split open and the blastoid was just lying there in the middle. I didnt see the huge snail sticknig off the side the rock until I removed and packed up the blastoid. When I removed the snail from the rock, two brachiopods fell out and each was a little gem. I found other cool things on this trip but that little piece of shale was the big find.

post-7129-0-84616000-1340685160_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeymig

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Great finds, as usual! Thanks for sharing.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Choice!

Man, I like your photos!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very cool finds indeed.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Found these on the same 6/23 collecting trip. I think the Pleurodictyum corals look like tiny moons. The largest as well as 4 med. are new the rest are from two other trips. The Heliophyllum cluster was sticking out of the side of a hill in a forest. Only a small portion was exsposed and I thought it was just a single coral.

post-7129-0-56906100-1340581055_thumb.jpg

post-7129-0-54166500-1340581093_thumb.jpg

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Very Nice. I'm going to be up your way after the 4th so hide all your spots or I will be mining them out!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Awesome finds, thanks for sharing!

I'm no expert, but I have a lifetime of experience... :blink:

Nice finds, Mikey!

Love the unexpected finds that pop out now and again!

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice little treasure trove in that shale piece. I love the corals too. Thanks for your terrific photos and the id's too.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

That little brachiopod has two different bryzoans on it, right?

Right!

led zeppelin

Me likey, Mikey; handsome fossils!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Boy, those fossils come out clean.

I like them all, especially the brach with the little hitchhikers.

Context is critical.

Very nice stuff. Love the way the pictures are setup, nice to be able to put the identification to the specimen.

• 6 months later...

I just got back the large Blastoid that I found last summer from the preparator and wanted to share it with you all. He (Gerry Kloc) said it was a bit of a challenge due to the fact that its crushed, delicate, and it had a hard limey coating. I dont see to many blastoids here in NY and I knew that there should be some cool B) detail hiding under that matrix. Im glad I got it prepped and Im also glad that Gerry and I are neighbors (we both live in Rochester).

Thanks,

Mikey

537952_393602564064189_153105947_n.jpg

led zeppelin

I have around two dozen pieces of limestone shale very similar to that with crinoids, echinoderms and who knows what else. How did you remove the specimens so cleanly?

I am partial to the brach with hitchhikers too (I like association specimens), and the snail, but they are all exquisite!

Edited by Wrangellian

I have around two dozen pieces of limestone shale very similar to that with crinoids, echinoderms and who knows what else. How did you remove the specimens so cleanly?

The tools can start at dental picks and pin-vises, and rum all the way up to pneumatic microjack systems and air abraisive micro blasters. Starting with the former is usual, as the latter require many, many dollars, dedicated shop space, and a great deal of experience.

The specific example in this topic was prepared by a very advanced pro (one of the best anywhere).