Associated Mosasaur Collection

-AnThOnY-

Hey all, figured I would share the past 8-9 months of mosasaur collecting for me (which is 98% of my mosasaur collection). I have in that time period come across 4 different mosasaur associations. 3 from the Demopolis Chalk of the Starkville area and one in the Prairie Bluff Chalk.

The first is one that I posted in the past (that I haven't made any progress on yet), not much patience for prep work :). Plus I know the stuff that is present is in poor shape so motivation is lacking. Will get there eventually!

http://www.thefossil...y-pet-mosasaur/

Found with this first one was:

• 15-17 vertebrae
  • 15-16 teeth, ranging in size from close to 2" down to 3/8", one still in a section of jaw
  • a few random bones, broken ribs, a couple small flipper bones
  • possible disarticulated skull in a large block that I haven't even touched yet

The second association I came across was from the Prairie Bluff Chalk, this is the smallest associated I have but I figured I would post it anyway. Its just two vertebrae and a tooth with the largest root I have come across, too bad the tooth was separated from the root.

post-4311-0-64008700-1340588043_thumb.jpg

The third set I found is a set of associated tail vertebrae and one tooth, was pretty late in getting to these ones but still very happy with the find.

post-4311-0-23481800-1340588241_thumb.jpg

The fourth was found yesterday morning and rivals if not bests the first one I found. Will be waiting for more rain to get back and make sure I got all I could. I didn't want to destroy anything by blindly digging. I have prepped two pieces of this set, which are pictured below (pic 5) but still have more to do (these are funner to prep since they are in a lot better condition than the first one I found). What I found so far includes:

• 25 vertebrae
  • 7 teeth, small compared to all others, one in matrix that needs to be stabilized before removal and it still has root
  • 4 sections of jaw bone (5 pictured but 2 of them fit together and are now glued)
  • 2 bones that I am waiting ID on, look like ear bones to me
  • 15 1-2" rib fragments
  • An oddball bone that I can't place anywhere from skeletons I have looked at

post-4311-0-94632700-1340588738_thumb.jpgpost-4311-0-61761700-1340588743_thumb.jpgpost-4311-0-66141000-1340588748_thumb.jpgpost-4311-0-65441900-1340588751_thumb.jpgpost-4311-0-14399400-1340588761_thumb.jpgpost-4311-0-21869600-1340588778_thumb.jpgpost-4311-0-52080200-1340588793_thumb.jpgpost-4311-0-51125700-1340588798_thumb.jpgpost-4311-0-30590600-1340588804_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking, and let me know if you know what the unknown "ear bones" (pic 6) and other odd bone (pics 7-9) is.

edit: got positive ID on the two unknown bones. The items in picture 6 are indeed quadrates, and the item in pictures 7-9 is the atlas intercentrum of the first vertebrae in the neck.

Anthony

Edited by -AnThOnY-

Where is the LIKE button on this thing?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Really nice finds, Anthony. Not sure about the "ear bones"; they don't look quite right for quadrates. Since you found a few cervical vertebrae, you might compare your "odd bone" to one of the four bones that make up the atlas complex. Best of luck with your prep.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Any day Mos. is found that is a good day, you had a great day. Nice find---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Thanks everyone! It amazes me that in the first year or so the only mosasaur items I found were two teeth in very rough shape and in the short amount of time mentioned I have been lucky enough to find all this!

you make your own luck in this gig, anthony... i've seen you do it!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Very impressive. I'm guessing a difficult decision on your free time...prep what you have or find more! Congrats.

Thanks all. My prep takes a backseat to collecting every time, I'll eventually have to get around to catching up on it but until then its collect collect collect!

you make your own luck in this gig, anthony... i've seen you do it!

And I have started to realized that fact Dan. And I hope it continues to hold true!

So when you going to share the wealth my friend

K

If you ever had free time, I would help!