Echinoid Spine Terminology

Kosmoceras

Thanks for posting this information Kosmoceras. I've found a few spines in New Jersey but never thought about the terminology.

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

I would like to know more about spines and how many have been matched to the genus or species.

here are some of them from morocco jurassic beds. firmacidaris, reboulicidaris, dickecidaris, sphaerotiaris, cidaropsis anoulensis.

post-1185-0-87825300-1341056214_thumb.jpg

post-1185-0-92214500-1341056226_thumb.jpg

post-1185-0-85816900-1341056237_thumb.jpg

post-1185-0-29604600-1341056248_thumb.jpg

post-1185-0-92813200-1341056256_thumb.jpg

post-1185-0-65824400-1341056267_thumb.jpg

Edited by hssain

I would like to know more about spines and how many have been matched to the genus or species.

Interesting, yes each genus has different amounts. Would love to look into it more once I find some more regular echinoids. Majority of mine are irregulars.

Thanks for posting those fantastic examples.

Anyone else who has any regular echinoids with spines, would love to see some more.

I certainly see differences in the local Cretaceous spines. But I need to either do some drawings or magnified photography. Recently I found my first Goniopygus after noticing that there were spines present that did not match the typical "Salenia" spines. I'm not 100% sure they are from the Goniopygus but it would have been the most likely suspect.

Does anyone know of papers or reports describing spines?

Hssain,

Those are pretty cool. We have one cidarid here in Texas with crazy fat spines. But they are not common and I have never heard of anyone finding them associated with a complete echinoid test.

Hssain,

Those are pretty cool. We have one cidarid here in Texas with crazy fat spines. But they are not common and I have never heard of anyone finding them associated with a complete echinoid test.

You might be able to make a composite. Stick the spines onto a body, they can look good.