Digital

These were pulled from a few relatively short visits to Big Brook. Maybe 6 hours total in the water. Posting just to show what someone who really has no clue what he's doing could expect to pull out as I've seen a few posts with questions regarding this site.

Entered from Hillsdale with a garden shovel and a colander (vegetable rinser) without an idea as to what a 'hot spot' versus dry spot would be. Can't say I've figured a ton out in these few trips, but getting a bit more efficient.

Pic 1: Some random sharks teeth. I love the diversity in coloration that comes out.

Pic 2: Nice little brachiopod mold that is in really nice shape in a very light color. I'm sure the small size may hide some flaws that would be more apparent in a larger example. Only one I've found.

Pic 3: My favorite tooth due to color and the tiny, needle sharp little 'side tooth'...not sure what the official name of this is.

Pic 4: Fish teeth. Look like Salmonoid from pics on njfossils.net

post-8736-0-78110500-1341099245_thumb.jpg

post-8736-0-41279500-1341099284_thumb.jpg

post-8736-0-79689700-1341099362_thumb.jpg

post-8736-0-96375900-1341099467_thumb.jpg

nice haul! thats about the same size haul I was finding my first few times there, give it a little time getting to know the site and what areas the fossils seem to "congregate" in and you'll easily triple or more that amount. Also keep an eye out for colonial artifacts and arrowheads. I dont know why but I love finding those little brachs, choristothyris

Nice variety of shark teeth. Look forward to seeing what else you find.

The brachiopod Choristothyris is not a mold. It is mineralized shell. Keep looking and you will find ones almost as big as that penny.

nice haul! thats about the same size haul I was finding my first few times there, give it a little time getting to know the site and what areas the fossils seem to "congregate" in and you'll easily triple or more that amount. Also keep an eye out for colonial artifacts and arrowheads. I dont know why but I love finding those little brachs, choristothyris

Thanks. I didn't realize there are artifacts In the brook. Will keep my eye out!

The brachiopod Choristothyris is not a mold. It is mineralized shell. Keep looking and you will find ones almost as big as that penny.

Thanks. I guess another thing for me to look up. Appreciate the info!

Would need some different views of #3 to positively id it. But with the view I have it can be narrowed down to one of two Sand Tiger sharks:

Odontaspis aculeatus

or

Eostratolamia holmdelensis

Very nice haul, not bad,, if as you say, you not knowing much about the area. It is more than I found my first few times in what has become my favorite river. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.