North Sulphur River Texas

rastapop

• New Members

Hi; this is my first post.

I made an interesting visit to this site, and wanted to share this. I am really not an expert and bad at identifying them, maybe you can confirm my suspicions.

I see there teeth of course (mosasaur and shark from what I know about this site),

post-8953-0-72079200-1341793903_thumb.jpg

bones and cartilage fragments. I think the one at the bottom is a piece of rib.

post-8953-0-69996400-1341793907_thumb.jpg

petrified wood ? For some of them, it's just the nature of the rock that led me to think it is wood.

post-8953-0-41690600-1341793923_thumb.jpg

ammonites.

post-8953-0-41710500-1341793912_thumb.jpgpost-8953-0-73488100-1341794065_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

The North Sulphur River is a wonderful location, isn't it. It looks like you made a pretty good haul during your visit.

I don't seem to see as many posts about stuff coming out of there as I used to. Maybe it's just been picked over pretty good and needs a good rain to replenish the fossils.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the show!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Thanks. Yes this is a very nice location. Very easy. Maybe too easy. I wasn't alone there by the way. It had rained during the night I think, as I could tell the difference in the water level and the dampness between the moment I arrived and the moment I left.

I don't know the site and the best places, so I walked a bit along the river, but the most interesting findings I made were right at the bottom of the stairs that lead to the river.

I had a cap and plenty of water, and sunscreen. I was glad I took all this, the sun was hitting hard on me.

The North Sulphur River and the creeks flowing into it cover a huge area. The only thing really picked over is the easy stuff by the bridges in my opinion. There is just too much area to cover accurately. Some areas are just pile after pile of washed out materials, and the red zone cliffs will give it up fairly easily. On top of that, not many people mention the SOUTH sulfur river, which is a wonderful place for fossils too. Now I'm not saying a good rain doesn't hurt! The trouble with the North Sulphur River this time of year is the extreme heat generated off those rocks. It is dangerous to be down there in the heat of the day right now.

The North Sulphur River and the creeks flowing into it cover a huge area. The only thing really picked over is the easy stuff by the bridges in my opinion. There is just too much area to cover accurately. Some areas are just pile after pile of washed out materials, and the red zone cliffs will give it up fairly easily. On top of that, not many people mention the SOUTH sulfur river, which is a wonderful place for fossils too. Now I'm not saying a good rain doesn't hurt! The trouble with the North Sulphur River this time of year is the extreme heat generated off those rocks. It is dangerous to be down there in the heat of the day right now.

I would have to agree with what he said about the heat down in the river, there isn't any wind stirring down there and it is hotter in the river bed than top side. The bridge areas r usually picked clean within 1 to 2 days after a good rain, you have to go to some of the less traveled spots. There are some really good places to go, if you know where to go.

Thank you for sharing your finds with us and welcome to the forum.