Bryozoan?

Ameenah

I think this will get you there: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

erose, the link did not work, at least for me.

Thanks Auspex, Not sure why it didn't copy correctly.

"Fenestrate" has become a term used very loosely for anything lace-like but there are many lace-like bryozoans of many orders and families and only a few are known as Fenestrella. If you want to get an idea of the huge bryozoan diversity in the Ordovician visit Steve Holland's websites, both the one on Cincinnatian Arch and the Nashville Dome: http://strata.uga.edu/ go to the "fossils" section of each site.

Great site! Dr. Holland(and his grad students) did some of the pioneering work on sequence stratigraphy working the Upper Ordovician rocks of Kentucky and Ohio.

It is my understanding, and how I colloquially use the term, that "fenestrate" and "lacy" refer specifically to the Fenestrida order of Bryozoa. Probably, a more appropriate term would be fenestrid bryozoans.

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

It is my understanding, and how I colloquially use the term, that "fenestrate" and "lacy" refer specifically to the Fenestrida order of Bryozoa. Probably, a more appropriate term would be fenestrid bryozoans.

You say po-ta-toe, I say poe-tat-o...

I was just thinking how various amateur collectors I know use the term. Not at all from a true taxonomic point. For as much as I love bryozoans and often attempt to sort them out, I still get dizzy in doing so.

I recently spent 2 weeks uploading scans of sections and acetates, with descriptions, into a data base. I never want to see another one as long as I live. :blink:

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

There isn't much I can do with the camera I have. I even used 2 magnifying glasses lol

post-3008-0-61216000-1342415343_thumb.jpg post-3008-0-52368900-1342414654_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ameenah

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

There isn't much I can do with the camera I have. I even used 2 magnifying glasses lol

I think you just need to keep your eyes open for similar specimens that might be just a bit better. Also this is a good reason to get a 10X magnifier and even a 20X if you really want to take a closer look. Not for the camera, but for your own eyes.

Edited by erose

I think you just need to keep your eyes open for similar specimens that might be just a bit better. Also this is a good reason to get a 10X magnifier and even a 20X if you really want to take a closer look. Not for the camera, but for your own eyes.

I agree, a 10x loop should be one of the first acquisitions of any geology student or amateur paleontologist. These days, even triplets can be picked up, cheap, on-line... probably, more important than a hammer, even.

I'm sure I can find more now that I'll be looking for it :)

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

Thanks, I've used this site before, could use a few more pictures though.

My guess for a bryozoan was Chasmatopora but my references say it's Silurian, but the UGA site says it is in the Ordovician also. It might not be the camera, the specimen might be too weathered for more detail.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I am not a bryozoan person but I ran across these on the KY paleo society web page.

Photo 1 & 2 Cyclostome bryozoan and Cornulites worm tubes encrusting Rafinesquina brachiopod, Clays Ferry Fm., Ordovician, Danville Field Trip

Photo 3 & 4 Prasopora bryozoan from the Lexington Limestone (Sulphur Well Member)(Ordovician). Note the bore holes caused by another animal.

post-6251-0-72648400-1342487555_thumb.jpg

post-6251-0-07420000-1342487576_thumb.jpg

post-6251-0-81908100-1342487608_thumb.jpg

post-6251-0-28049900-1342487631_thumb.jpg

I'm curious as to why some members think this is a fenestrate??? Without a section, it is next to impossible to determine, but fenestrate??? Trepostomate or tubuliporate, perhaps, but fenestrate? Perhaps, it is my ignorance, but I associate fenestrates with that box-like fan shaped structure. Someone, enlighten me.

My bad. I should have said it is "an organism".

Context is critical.

I am not a bryozoan person but I ran across these on the KY paleo society web page.

Photo 1 & 2 Cyclostome bryozoan and Cornulites worm tubes encrusting Rafinesquina brachiopod, Clays Ferry Fm., Ordovician, Danville Field Trip

Photo 3 & 4 Prasopora bryozoan from the Lexington Limestone (Sulphur Well Member)(Ordovician). Note the bore holes caused by another animal.

Cyclostome usually grows on a brachiopod, and it is about very thin, like a pencil mark'

It think her specimen is growing on the rock and the Prasopora is frond-like.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

It's always worth a shot , since no-one seems to have the answer yet.

My bad. I should have said it is "an organism".

Perhaps, you meant: Taconic Orgeny... the greatest period of mountain building in North America.

Perhaps, you meant: Taconic Orgeny... the greatest period of mountain building in North America.

I'm sorry, I must have missed a comment somewhere. What does Taconic orogeny have to do with " a organism"? :blink:

I'm sorry, I must have missed a comment somewhere. What does Taconic orogeny have to do with " a organism"? :blink:

It was a joke. Nevermind.

But ask me about the Taconic Orgeny. I love Laurentia, I love mountain building, and I love Appalachia. I also love the early Paleozoic.

Edited by thanatocoenosis

Thanks for clarifying that. :)