Triassic Afternoon

Down under fossil hunter

This afternoon I went out in search of a few Dicroidiums for a friend.

I am lucky to have the Blackstone formation exposed just a few minutes drive from my house at Ebbw Vale this deposit is Carnian (228-216)myo.

Even though I have visited this site hundreds of times I have never posted pics of it before.

Came home pretty empty handed but it was still good to get out and smash some rocks.

Seems like a pretty place to hunt!

Looks like you did OK to me! :)

Nice finds - thanks for the pics!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the comments

I didn't take anything in the pictures home with me, often I will leave them so children coming out with their parents over the weekend can get their hands on something they might otherwise not have found.

Very cool to see those fossils and I agree with Tim, I'd have taken some of those home with me too. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Pretty ferns! Thank you for showing. Triassic is my favourite age. :) Are there also marine triassic strata with ammonoids in this formation?

G'day! Very nice pics of the Triassic ferns there. Do you get any petrified wood in the area? I have fond memories of fossicking along the Victoria coast.

Yes, enjoyed seeing the plant material you found. Nice to leave them for the kids to find. I have been eyeing a sample on ebay--I believe it was from the Blackstone fm as well. Great stuff!

Is Dicrodium usually the only plant type found?

Thanks for sharing the finds! Regards, Chris

Pretty ferns! Thank you for showing. Triassic is my favourite age. :) Are there also marine triassic strata with ammonoids in this formation?

No marine strata but it was a very wet/swampy area and I have collected a few different species of bivalves.

G'day! Very nice pics of the Triassic ferns there. Do you get any petrified wood in the area? I have fond memories of fossicking along the Victoria coast.

Not in this area but less than a kilometre away my father used to find big slabs of it.

On a very interesting note my sister bought an investment property that backed onto the Ipswich coal measures (also less than a klm away) off an old lady who's husband had worked in the mines his whole life and on my first visit there to help them clean up the yard I found that the whole fence was made from petrified tree stumps, some in beautiful condition.

Yes, enjoyed seeing the plant material you found. Nice to leave them for the kids to find. I have been eyeing a sample on ebay--I believe it was from the Blackstone fm as well. Great stuff!

Is Dicrodium usually the only plant type found?

Thanks for sharing the finds! Regards, Chris

I also find calamites, ginkgos, different seed ferns, xylopteris some isolated seeds and bivalves.

Thanks for your comments!