New Fossils For Cash Reality Show?

Xiphactinus

"reality" TV is just a cheap way of producing shows. It can be entertaining without being mean spirited or base. I used to watch trading spaces; no insults, no fights, just two neighbors trying to fix each other's houses in a weekend. Actually promoted creativity, hard work, and (almost) everyone won. Meteorite men is entertaining, they show their enthusiasm for meteorites and you can learn a little when they take their meteorites to the scientists. I think the focus on monetary value is unfortunate, but it seems the love of finding meteorites is more of a driving force than $ is. Maybe "Fossil rescue!" would be a good motif for a show, get into quarries or construction sites to rescue fossils that may otherwise be destroyed, let the show's guest scientist identify the best ones for inclusion in a university or museum collection and explain what they find. Just a thought.

Edited by Scylla

I like 'River Monsters'. No mention of money whatsoever!

But, I might be getting off track here.

Steve

I like the show "Meteorite Men" but they seem to have a pretty good formula. I think the men have such a repect for the science and love the thrill of the hunt that the money is a plus but they dont talk about getting rich. I think they only sell to fund more hunts. They also show the hard work takes and respect the laws for collecting. Even in this promo there is no mention of money.

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

I like the show "Meteorite Men" but they seem to have a pretty good formula. I think the men have such a repect for the science and love the thrill of the hunt that the money is a plus but they dont talk about getting rich. I think they only sell to fund more hunts. They also show the hard work takes and respect the laws for collecting. Even in this promo there is no mention of money.

This show could contribute to science by showing the (interested members of the) public how to recover meteoritic material in case there is a fall in the area. For certain types, it may be critical to get the material preserved before it becomes oxidized and contaminated.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

This show could contribute to science by showing the (interested members of the) public how to recover meteoritic material in case there is a fall in the area. For certain types, it may be critical to get the material preserved before it becomes oxidized and contaminated.

They talk about that very thing on the show.

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

Ils sont fous ces romains... :blink:

Of which Romans do you speak - and why do you call them "crazy?" :mellow:

Edited by Roadrunner

I personally would not want to watch someone out collecting fossils, just so they can go sell them. I think it is a shame that in todays society that everything has to be about the almighty buck. Fossils should be used to educate and study, to teach the next generation. They should be collected with respect and care should be taken to preserve them. Just my 2 cents worth from a grandmother of 24 grandkids, who has shared my love of fossils with each and everyone of them.

I need a 3 pound Meg to wear around my neck while fossil hunting...cuz I'm all about practical accessories...not only was this a stupid way to portray collecting (ignoring science, detachment from their finds rather than cherishing them on a personal level), I cringed when I saw how they handled their finds in the field, and how they prepped them - what the heck were they spraying on them aI cnyway? Beyond that I found these guys disturbing to watch on a personal level. The main guy really creeps me out. I could never spend time in the field with this person, much less let him into my house through my TV....

You makin' fun of my 6" meg necklace photo? ; )

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I personally would not want to watch someone out collecting fossils, just so they can go sell them. I think it is a shame that in todays society that everything has to be about the almighty buck. Fossils should be used to educate and study, to teach the next generation. They should be collected with respect and care should be taken to preserve them. Just my 2 cents worth from a grandmother of 24 grandkids, who has shared my love of fossils with each and everyone of them.

Amen to that!

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Hi,

Of which Romans do you speak - and why do you call them "crazy?" :mellow:

I think they are words that are often well known in the comic book "Asterix and Obelix" (René Goscinny) !

See at the bottom of the page http://theunfaithful...es-romains.html

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I agree completely. I show a lot of people different fossils I find often because of how proud I am of them. More often than not the first thing out of their mouth is how much is it worth. I tell them nothing it is about the coolness factor for me and even if they were to be sold it would not be for very much (I never find any of the really good stuff others are finding, aside from my one recent trilo).

My son enjoys looking at them and I think he likes learning about the stuff also (he is about to be 6).

I understand that money makes the world go around, but I cannot stand that in the eyes of most everything has to be about money. It is like no one understands just enjoying the simple things in life anymore.

Robert
Southeast, MO

For another perspective on the moral sensitivities of the fossil collecting clan:

How would the concept go over if it were "big game hunting for mad cash"? The producer would have to leave the country!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Even hunting for cash in general not even the big game stuff would ###### me off. You cannot conserve a species in the wild if they are taken for profit. They will be over hunted to extinction. We already have this problem (elephants, tigers, and many others), at least there is not a TV show about it.

For that matter a lot of bad things go on in the world for the object of getting "mad cash". That is another discussion though, sorry sometimes I get side tracked when it comes to greed.

Robert
Southeast, MO

For another perspective on the moral sensitivities of the fossil collecting clan:

How would the concept go over if it were "big game hunting for mad cash"? The producer would have to leave the country!

Hey Bubba, not in Texas. I think we have our own big game cable channel....just kidding. I believe in being best of friends with all gun owners.

Edited by erose

Hey Bubba, not in Texas. I think we have our own big game cable channel...

I bet the shows are about hunting, not making money off it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I bet the shows are about hunting, not making money off it!

Unless you are the guide, boat, gun, or gear dealer. More like the "How much money can you spend?" big game hunting channel.

once upon a time i was just as big a spaz about big game hunting and saltwater fishing as i now am about fossils. why the change of venue? in short, the rising expense. the capital outlays required to be afield in texas put so much pressure on me to succeed that i couldn't enjoy myself until there was enough flesh in the cooler to justify the cost.

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

these days plan on dumping 8 grand per year into your annual lease for huntimg access, year round feeding, feeder, blind, atv, trailer etc. this is a bit too aristocratic for me, and i don't want to be married to a lease.

fossil hunting is my new woods to hunt. for a tank of gas, some research, and honest, friendly conversation i can often score a new venue, lightly hunted in the past. i avoid crowds and enjoy the pursuit with friends and family as well as alone when i prefer solitude. it will be a diminished experience for all involved if a large scale commercial movement descends on our sites like a plague of locusts.

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I would enjoy a combo fossil/science show with real folks (pro & every day hobbyists), the hard work involved, the process and discoveries they make world-wide; similar to Carl Sagan's "Cosmos". That series sparked my interest in astronomy, geology and paleontology.

No money was made in the making of this post, just MY 2 cents worth. :D

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I also like to watch this show. The cost(s) involved with travel, equipment, lodging, etc; can't be cheap and the finds they make won't make 'em rich. Good point/topic to add Ameenah.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I've been watching this discussion since it first aired (TV pun intended). I agree with the early outrages at this very idea, but since the producer has stepped up and asked our opinion, ... Along with all the PBS?Discovery/NG shows about paleo (many of which are even factual), maybe there is space in there for a show about hobby fossilists like many of us are. A show about people who do this NOT for the money, but for a variety of other reasons (science, esthetics, game hunting is too expensive, self and public education) , and are thrilled with their hobby. I know there are a lot of us on this site who would fit the bill. I think this idea was bandied about a while back where some of us go visit others amongst us and learn the local geology/paleo from the local expert. Could be interesting. And no one would have to talk about their passion too loud or too fast, as does Bob or Bill whatever his name was in the original trailer.

these days plan on dumping 8 grand per year into your annual lease for huntimg access, year round feeding, feeder, blind, atv, trailer etc. this is a bit too aristocratic for me, and i don't want to be married to a lease.

fossil hunting is my new woods to hunt. for a tank of gas, some research, and honest, friendly conversation i can often score a new venue, lightly hunted in the past. i avoid crowds and enjoy the pursuit with friends and family as well as alone when i prefer solitude. it will be a diminished experience for all involved if a large scale commercial movement descends on our sites like a plague of locusts.

Well said, I too come from a hunting family and have hunted in the past and fished, but it has always been to feed my family. The hunting was done on family or friend land and NO ONE ever took more than they could use or need. I still enjoy fishing when I can get someone to go and help me and what ever is caught is either let go or cleaned for our yearly family fish fry.

I was raised that if you don't need it then leave it for the next person.