Woehr's Feb 2012 Texas Collecting Report

Uncle Siphuncle

I guess a light Jan stoked my fire in Feb, and good conditions made this report take the form of a "magnum opus". Good times with family and friends. Feel free to have a peek on the Brazosport Museum website:

http://bcfas.org/museum/Meander/2012/Fossil%20Collecting%20Report%20Feb%202012.pdf

I had to stare at a blank screen with no progress bar for a minute or two, then the report came up. My March report is just around the corner.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Always look forward to your reports Dan, Hats off to you on a job well done as always. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

You possess a unique combination of excellent writing, fossil finding and photography. I don't know what you do to put food on the table, but I do know you've missed your calling.

Always love reading your reports. THANKS!

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Lord I wish I could figure out why I don't get the text when I link to this. Great fossils Dan. Looks like some good BBQ potential was scored as well.

Family, artifact hunting, fossils, what a great story to share with use folks sitting in out air conditioned houses drinking a cup of coffee imagining we were there with you getting muddy and wet, great adventure. It would be hard to pick one formation that was the best but the Corsicana echinoids were awesome. For those that feel the hog hunt was a little gruesome, in the south wild hogs are multiplying at a very fast rate, damaging farm and ranch land and property. One way to help but not totally solve the problem is hunting, after all who doesn't like a good rack of ribs. Enjoyed the story as usual, thanks for sharing---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

mommabetts - glad u enjoyed report. next rag in the works.

sward - i'm a mechanical engineer for vintage air, a mfr of aftermarket hvac systems for classic cars, hot rods, and niche oem vehicles like the ford gt. i design products, tooling, and assy lines, build prototypes, conduct and write up tests, streamline production processes and chase down new suppliers... and work on fossil reports on lunch hours if i'm not collecting!

erose - not sure what to say since i'm not a computer guy, but glad you liked the pics

tom - yes the corsicana is one of the better formations i've bumbled into. and last weekend was a landmark achievement with the boy... we didn't find much, but for the first time he actually helped with the kayak!

Grüße,

and no i won't be involved with the "fossils for ca$h" series!

Grüße,

Ha , you could have your own show!! Texas fossil and hog wrassler lol

Great report as usual,I really like the animal cracker comparisons and that sloth shoulderblade is awesome!!!

Cephalopods rule!!

the animal crackers were for scaling The Boy's personal finds... still looking for an echinoid cracker...fossil reporting can be kinda fun when you aren't bound by rigid format of the academic world.

Grüße,

I enjoyed reading your hunting trips and as usual some great fossils.

I especially like the sloth bone and the Colenholectypus. I have never

found one that well preserved ever! :envy:

Welcome to the forum!

i dont expect ms brett or me to ever find another complete pleistocene scapula like this again after being subjected to stream forces and/or transport. the complete sandstone encasement was a freak deal, sort of like this thing was jacketed for us as found. in places the bone cross section was only 1.5 mm thick... this is our best preserved pleistocene bone. i suspected it was sloth based on morphology, with genus confirmed by dr. richard hulbert.

Grüße,

hey roz i have some better coenholectypus coming up in my march report, but they'll be overshadowed by a strong showing of goniopygus...

Grüße,

hey roz i have some better coenholectypus coming up in my march report, but they'll be overshadowed by a strong showing of goniopygus...

Both favorites of mine! I will await patiently, well I'll await :D:P

Welcome to the forum!

That was another great read with another cool mix of fossils. Of course, I have to comment on the sloth scapula. The other scapulae you found are more in line with what I've seen - nice to get just a decent proximal end. That is a spectacular piece and a river find (maybe the most incredible thing I've seen among all your reports)! That has to be the next Fossil of the Month. I met Dr. Hulbert last year at UF. He is a nice guy - later sent me a couple of articles I was looking for.

On the first Pleistocene trip with Ms. Brett you noted an astragulus. I made a note that I thought it was a calcaneum. Do you have another photo of that one? That bone after the mandible piece looks like a wrist bone - maybe a cuboid because of positions of the facets but that's a guess. I'm more familiar with fossil pinnipeds but sometime the bone shapes aren't too different.

I thought that little translucent piece of Yegua Formation wood was a cool little find.

I like your food choices too. Nothing like a good Mexican place, and sometimes, going to Popeye's is a nice alternative to burgers or sandwiches.

Jess

Hi,

Dan, it is a new marvelous report ! Wonderful finds and areas.

On fig. 33 you seems to have Einstein's hairs ! :D and I :wub: your Codiopsis on fig 129 and more...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

jess...i'll need to look back as i very well could have made an error in haste. if so i'll correct it as i try not to propogate misinformation. i must have been too focused on the scapula!

coco...i use my appearance to scare the fossils out in the open!

Grüße,

Great report as usual, Dan! Thanks for taking us along again. That sloth scapula is a once in a lifetime find! Fantastic! Y'all were altogether very successful in the Pleistocene. Love those Walnut Form Echinoids!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

glad you enjoyed it, roger

Grüße,

I think I'm just a tad bit envious of all the great sites you visit. Lucky the edge is taken off that envy by getting to visit myself through your awesome reports.

lloyd you wouldnt envy my monthly expenditures of fuel, but considering where i live, that's the price of adventure if i want to see a little variety. i enjoy exploring for new sites constantly, and quite often find nothing. this makes me value the good sites that much more.

Grüße,

Great report, nice to see it is a family activity for you. Wish there were more sites like that near central Illinois that I could take grandkids to easily.

russ

more urchins and crabs in my upcoming reports, alex, some different than in previous reports...

Grüße,