Auspex

Ammonite: Kosmoceras spinosum(?)

Geological Age: Jurassic. 157 myo.

Stratigraphic Detail: Middle Oxford Clay

Locality: Yaxley, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK

Date of Discovery: 12/7/12

25rdr0h.jpg2u5suc8.jpg

Edited by Kosmoceras

It is going to be a great month... all excellent specimens in their own merit! ....

Here's my best find. A golden plate of pyritized plants from the far east :) Ferns are exceedingly rare in the formation, so this definitely did make it one of the best finds! ^_^

Pyritized Plant Slab, Upper Carboniferous (Mississippian), Huigu, Mentougou, Beijing, China

post-4996-0-45752200-1343310415_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-33092400-1343310733_thumb.jpg

Just more pics of the same slab :)

Well, obviously there have been some awesome discoveries this month. Kudos to all of you!

I'll enter as well.

The find consists of a Mosasaur tooth (the crown) of Mosasaurus hoffmanni.

Mainly the length makes this a less common find, measuring 5.5cm diagonally.

It was found on the 26th of July, in the Maastrichtian (Upper Cretaceous) of Eben-emael, Belgium. Since the tooth was found in a block of limestone that tumbled down to a certain level, my guess is that it originates from the Nekum chalk member (Maastricht formation).

k3n036.jpg

24mibee.jpg

2aac85u.jpg

2vt1kz7.jpg

Edited by Hieronymus

This is a partial trilobite.....just the thorax and pygidium. It's 25mm wide which makes it on the large side for Eldredgeops rana. It's from the Middle Devonian, Wanakah Shale, Ludlowville Formation, Hamilton Group, Hamburg, NY. Collected on 6/17 and prepped on 7/15.

All the trilobites I have found at this location had the typical black exoskeleton but this is light tan. Upon closer examination, I discovered black spots on the pygidium and the left pleural lobe. I have seen examples of these markings and they are quite rare.

There are two theories on the occurrence of these spots. One holds that they are positions of internal muscle attachment points. The other, and the one I favor, is that the dark spots are actually preserved melanophores which could expand and contract, allowing the trilobite to change color as it moved along the seafloor, much like the extant flounder. My personal opinion is that this is why the exoskeleton is light tan. At the time of it's demise, this trilobite was moving over a light colored sandy bottom and thus the black coloring was contracted into the spots.

This is not a spectacular specimen but its condition is extremely rare. I hope you all find it both interesting and informative.

Tom

post-4534-0-92178700-1343663861_thumb.jpg

post-4534-0-06726400-1343663894_thumb.jpg

post-4534-0-91707200-1343664630_thumb.jpg

post-4534-0-26724800-1343664658_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOM BUCKLEY

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Nice finds everybody! I really like the Mosasaurus hoffmani tooth. Congratulations on a great find! :thumbsu:

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Here goes my entry for this month.

Name: Antaphrus borraeus (Wittington, 1954)

Formation: Prosser member, Galena Formation

Where: Southeast Minnesota

Found: July 7th

post-3840-0-84504900-1343673636_thumb.jpg

Here goes my entry for this month.

Name: Antaphrus borraeus (Wittington, 1954)

Formation: Prosser member, Galena Formation

Where: Southeast Minnesota

Found: July 7th

post-3840-0-84504900-1343673636_thumb.jpg

Caleb,

Absolutely no disrespect intended but I can't help it. Your trilobite looks like PACMAN! Oh boy.....I'm really dating myself.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Wow, incredible finds this month. Congrats to everybody. In a normal month, three or four of these fossils would win the contest.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Caleb,

Absolutely no disrespect intended but I can't help it. Your trilobite looks like PACMAN! Oh boy.....I'm really dating myself.

Tom

Haha I said the same thing about it in his gallery. It certainly is cool looking. Man too bad I have an entry this month lol.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Unbelievable!!!

Can you tell, Peter, how did you locate this amazing tiny beauty???

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Unbelievable!!!

Shear luck!!! Just finish processing some Arkona mud... and looked under magnification and I almost gasped with excitement!

Shear luck!!! Just finish processing some Arkona mud... and looked under magnification and I almost gasped with excitement!

It was a good luck, for sure!!!

I was trying to edit my former post when I saw your answer. I intended adding the question: Do you know if any alike specimens have been described to date???

Astrinos P. Damianakis

It was a good luck, for sure!!!

I was trying to edit my former post when I saw your answer. I intended adding the question: Do you know if any alike specimens have been described to date???

I have not seen any close to this ..... I will show it to the ROM.... this is all new to me :D

Found July 31,2012.

This is an amazing discovery...

I think this is a baby trilobite larval stage

size is approx 1mm

+20 mesh screen from Arkona/ Hungry Hollow Mud

Middle Devonian

Hamilton Group

Possible: late-stage dechenellid protaspis .

You can see the compound eyes....

Imaged with 2.5X Plan microscope objective coupled to Nikon J1 camera + bellows.

Helicon image 11 stacked images into one.

post-2446-0-81842000-1343777343_thumb.jpg

Lots of cool stuff this month bu this find gets my vote! :envy: :envy:

Lots of cool stuff this month bu this find gets my vote! :envy: :envy:

Thanks Russ but it is not a trilo larval ... an insect head me thinks ... I am removing the entry....

Unbelievable!!!

I have removed the entry Astron as it is an insect head and not a trilo larval

My entry is this SCARCE Hemipristis shark tooth from Aurora, NC. The color and size are amazing... 1 31/32" on slant almost 2" and 1 23/32" wide. A Monster.... Miocene 4 to 8 million years in age. My heart stoped for a second when I found this one! It probably will not win but I figured I would show it off! You will not see many this size and color. Happy Hunting! :)

post-8250-0-62805300-1343787113_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-92320400-1343787115_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-93809400-1343787117_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-40767000-1343787120_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-54369900-1343787122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossils4U

My entry is this SCARCE Hemipristis shark tooth from Aurora, NC. The color and size are amazing... 1 31/32" on slant almost 2" and 1 23/32" wide. A Monster.... Miocene 4 to 8 million years in age. My heart stoped for a second when I found this one! It probably will not win but I figured I would show it off! You will not see many this size and color. Happy Hunting! :)

you found that in the current piles?

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

I have removed the entry Astron as it is an insect head and not a trilo larval

It was still cool, I saw some mention, oh well neat head! any idea from what?

Agreed!!! And I think it does worth an entry after the clearance, independently on whatever it is!!!

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Well, obviously there have been some awesome discoveries this month. Kudos to all of you!

I'll enter as well.

The find consists of a Mosasaur tooth (the crown) of Mosasaurus hoffmanni.

Mainly the length makes this a less common find, measuring 5.5cm diagonally.

It was found on the 26th of July, in the Maastrichtian (Upper Cretaceous) of Eben-emael, Belgium. Since the tooth was found in a block of limestone that tumbled down to a certain level, my guess is that it originates from the Nekum chalk member (Maastricht formation).

k3n036.jpg

24mibee.jpg

2aac85u.jpg

2vt1kz7.jpg

:o

That's the best mosy tooth I've ever seen without root. I think I've got my vote. B)

Edited by Carcharodontosaurus

Russ and Astron: I think the head resembles that of deer fly / horse fly with a biting mouth parts.... they have delta shaped wings and a a pest while in the field.... I recently experimented with an ultrasonic deer fly / black fly repeller and it works well.

Very nice Henry!

Thanks Peter :) Pity the head came from an insect instead of a trilobite :( Would have made a stunning piece.. -_-