Ordovician Reef

Herb

A brief report on a stop I made today near Bardstown, Kentucky. Oddly enough called the Bardstown Reef. This is U.Ordovician probably the Whitewater formation. The fauna is composed mostly of colonial rugose and tabulete corals, what looks like stromatoporods and a few brachiopods and bryozoa. Some of the colonies are 3' in diameter. The quality of the preservation is very detailed for Ordovician corals in this area. A few site pictures:

post-2520-0-31454000-1342906120_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-58556200-1342906207_thumb.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

post-2520-0-18035900-1342906295_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-02128700-1342906318_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-31420700-1342906334_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-88048900-1342906351_thumb.jpgAnd a few of the corals:

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Love the coral. Thank you for sharing Herb!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

I picked a bunch of those up this spring to use as garden edge borders. That is a cool exposure.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I picked a bunch of those up this spring to use as garden edge borders. That is a cool exposure.

Oh,the horror, the horror! :D

In all my study of the Cincinnatian I had read of the Bardstown Reef and was always intrigued. There are a few solitary corals known from the Richmond Group strata but only a few places were the colonial corals are truly abundant. Now that I have a better idea where it is located I can see stopping off on my next road trip from Texas to Ohio.

I also have no qualms putting big specimens in the garden. My house has only room for so many large specimens and I would probably collect a few hand-size chunks for the drawers as well.

The site that Herb went to, and I visited in the spring, is probably the best know exposure of that particular horizon. There is another exposure over near Madison IN where the corals are not hollow but they are partially silicified.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

If you are talking about that long road cut north of Madison I know what you are talking about. On my one visit there it was end of day and a long walk back down to my car and I have regretted not loading up on them ever since. The whole west side of the Cinci Arch is much richer in corals than the northern and eastern sides I know better.

If you are talking about that long road cut north of Madison I know what you are talking about. On my one visit there it was end of day and a long walk back down to my car and I have regretted not loading up on them ever since. The whole west side of the Cinci Arch is much richer in corals than the northern and eastern sides I know better.

Yup, that's the one. At one point the bench is at road level but is pretty much impossible to get anything out of. To get loose specimens you have to either find them from farther down the exposure when they fall out or attempt to hike the hillside (which is dangerous and tricky). I recall seeing some really nice Calcite geodes up on part of the cliff too.

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Dave,

actually I know 4 coral reef sites within 20 miles of my house 3 Ordovicion and one Devonian. (not counting the Falls of the Ohio) :D

Some of there coral heads are 3' in diameter.

:thumbsu:

Dave,

actually I know 4 coral reef sites within 20 miles of my house 3 Ordovicion and one Devonian. (not counting the Falls of the Ohio) :D

Some of there coral heads are 3' in diameter.

:bow:

-Dave

Thanks, the largest Tetradium I found that day was a complete head about 13" in diameter. I couldn't get enough depth of field to get a side picture .

Herb, those Bardstown Corals are loaded with all kinds of mineralization, someone indicated that similar ones in Indiana were silicified, I always thought the ones in Bardstown were mostly calcite, but if you get a magnification on the white crystals that are predominate, you will see that they are mostly quartz crystals. The calcite looks like it was recrystallized to quartz.