Building Sifters

Trevor

Hello everyone, I would like to talk about any sifters. For my fossil hunting I use a small metal binder crate with holes in it. I also use a sifter with big holes and then you can clip it on top of a sifter with really smal holes. The last thing i use is a metal noodle strainer. The binder thing works the best. Do you think I should try and spray it with rust and water proof spray paint? Anyway, would any of you want to explain your sifter building stratagies because I am not good at building them.

Any help would be great :)

Edited by Survivor

: )

Mine is super easy. Make a square out of some pressure treated lumber the size you want to work. I attach the frame pieces together by predrilling holes and putting really long galvinzed screw in. Nails will not hold the frame together. Can be as small or as large as you want, just keep in mind a really small sifter may be easy to transport, but will not be able to handle more material while a really large one could be difficult to us as they can get heavy quickly. I personally like one about 1.5' by 2', and then I just make sure not to put too much material in it so that there is room to move stuff around to look for the goodies. Get chicken mesh wire at lowes/home depot the size you like (1/2' or 1/4", etc.). It comes in rolls so be careful because once you cut a piece, it is very springy since it was rolled and is very dangerous with the many small sharp pieces of mesh exposed. Once slip and that thing comes at you like a bear trap. All of a sudden, you have five or six cm deep holes in your arm or worse, your face. Wear gloves and use the proper cutting shears to cut it. It is also galvinized, so it is already rust resistant. If you use any metal that is not galvinized or stainless, it will rust. If I am searching an area of Miocene or later exposures, I would use 1/2", while likely 1/4" for Oligocene or older. Things were smaller the further back you go. Regardless of material age, the size of the unwanted rocks/pebbles may determine the size more than anything as you want that stuff to fall through. Use galvinzed roofing nails to secure the mesh to your frame. I have heard of some folks using roofing staples, but I found the big head of a roofing nail holds better. You have to put a nail about every cm or so if you want the thing to hold up. If you are going to be in water deeper than a foot or so, use big pull ties to secure pool noodles around it so that it floats, then you can let the water surface carry most of the weight.

Edited by DeloiVarden

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

What a cool sifter Coco! My sifter only has a two screen system. I will try to make that sifter and use it well.

THank you for the idea :)

If I was somewhere like aurora, I would want to use a sifter like coco's due to the very small micro fossils that may be present.

I need that sifter of Coco's because I have Aurora material at my house and my sifters are not right for that task, consisting of only two sizes and not enough different sizes to get the material evenly separated.

It's true, to sort out the clean sediment, it is easier when it is divided in several size gradings. According to the type of sediment, we can use 2, 3, 4 or more sieves.

My sieves are mason's sieve which I found in DIY store. I just chose the size of stitches to have a practical assortment.

The fact that they are wooden isn't practical to use them with some water, because they eventually deform and they don't overlap any more correctly. I had to buy back them to use them so.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

for a quick sieve, you can get a sturdy wood picture frame at a thrift store and staple screen door repair material from a hardware store to it. If you want to reinforce the corners get some small angle "L" pieces and put one in each corner,

You can also make a cheap microfossil sieve by taking a heavy cardboard cylinder (6" or so) stretch hose material or misquito netting over one end and hold it on with a needle point ring/ fabric holder.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks