Ornithologists Anywhere Out There ?

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hey Guys and Gals ... been awhile. I have a question gonna toss out there. I'm taking a siesta on the Big Island of Hawaii. I was recently down on the southern tip of the island near a green sand beach. Olvine deposits that have washed out of the basalt.

There are ash falls here that date to about 30,000 years ago with a lava flow above that. Additionally above that there are surface soils that have built up over time ... one of the layers is about 2 inches thick with a white chalky consistancy.

Just glancing around I found areas where the soil was eroded away (down to the basalt layer below) .. and about 1.5 to 2 feet down (from the surface of the topsoil) there were what look like many bird bones. Several individuals .. as well as what look like broken crab claws .. probably food. Look like adult bones. Do bird droppings accumulate and solidify over time ? And if so .. could this have been an old bird colony from a few hundred years back ... ? The bone layer is consistant across the whole layer that I sampled .. some samples coming from multiple locations in that layer. Probably sat 6 inches above the white chalky layer ?

Just curiosity that has this cat .. any help would be welcome .... !!

Images uploaded here:

http://imgur.com/a/EyKYb

post-2565-0-15753300-1344028025_thumb.jpg

post-2565-0-11652900-1344028029_thumb.jpg

post-2565-0-94682600-1344028032_thumb.jpg

post-2565-0-18412700-1344028037_thumb.jpg

post-2565-0-85055800-1344028040_thumb.jpg

Your find is significant, and really should be reported!

At the very least, the site has paleontological value; if it turns out to be more recent, and is a midden, it becomes a cultural site and will fall under very strict laws.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The humeri in the last picture appear to be from medium-sized shearwaters. This is not debris from KFC...

Seriously, please report your find!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks so much Auspex, I really thought it was probably not much to get excited about. But there were just so many of them (bones), so easy to find. I've sent this info along to a few professors at the University of Hawaii, hopefully they can point me in the right direction, if in fact, this location is unknown.

I was just too curious to let it go ..... they were deep enough to be at least a few decades old at least ? The rangers at the national park though they might just be chickens ... hahaha

"They just died there on the ground and you found the bones " ..... uhhhh ... ok, sure thing. *walks away*