Another Fossil Echinoid Prep Method

gwestbrook

Using some suggestions from Dan Woehr and tweaking it a bit to suit my own purposes, I've developed a fairly fast and easy way to clean and prep fossil echinoids. As Dan says, they have to be nearly perfect with well-defined tubercles for the process to have a satisfactory outcome.

I had a few dozen Phymosoma type echs that I had gathered over the last few months exhibiting various states of weathering. Some I had already written off as not being worth prepping. But, after reading Dan's email reply to my prep questions, I decided to experiment a bit with some of those echs.

1. I first put the echs in an ultrasonic cleaner I had received from my son for my birthday. These echs had already been scrubbed using a brass brush and water so I was really surprised to see how much more dissolved matrix was left in the cleaner afterward.

2. I dried them on a towel and took them outside and used an engraver with a point that I had modified and used Dan's method of using the side of the engraving needle instead of the point to vibrate free any hardened matrix so as not to chip or damage the test with the point.

3. I then used the brass brush again to remove any matrix that was soft enough to remove with the brush.

4. My final step was a little conservative in comparison to Dan's caustic flake method. I'm not comfortable enough, yet, to try that. I soaked the echs in white vinegar in a series of 2-10 minute intervals, taking out the echs, rinsing them in plain water, and scrubbing the softened matrix off a little at a time. The vinegar literally melted the surface of the matrix allowing it to be removed more easily with the brass brush. I also used a steel brush, very gingerly so as not to scratch or damage the test, to remove any stubborn areas of matrix the brass brush could not remove.

The results are in the attached photos. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Phymosoma sp,, Walnut Clay Fm., Hwy 183 S of Lometa, Lampasas Co., Tx (Aboral)

Phymosoma sp, Callahan Co., Tx, Oral

Phymosoma sp, Callahan Co., Tx, Aboral w/lone spine showing

Phymosoma sp, SE Callahan Co., Tx, Aboral

Edited by gwestbrook

Thank you for the lesson! I'm debating whether to invest in a cleaner, and if it would ba a worthwhile purchase.

We don't have those nice echies like that around here, but I assume it's applicable to other fossils.

A couple of questions, though: 1. How long (average) do they bathe in the ultrasonic cleaner? 2. Can you add the vinegar (or other mild solution) to the water for greater efficiency of matrix removal?

Thanks again!

Steve

Thank you for the lesson! I'm debating whether to invest in a cleaner, and if it would ba a worthwhile purchase.

We don't have those nice echies like that around here, but I assume it's applicable to other fossils.

A couple of questions, though: 1. How long (average) do they bathe in the ultrasonic cleaner? 2. Can you add the vinegar (or other mild solution) to the water for greater efficiency of matrix removal?

Thanks again!

Yes, I'm sure it could be used for other fossils. But, just be careful and see how the vinegar reacts to the test. It's a lot stronger than the hydrogen peroxide many people use. I saw very little acid erosion of the tubercles on the echs I prepared using this method, but that doesn't mean it might not have a more detrimental affect on other fossils.

And, yes, I guess you would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, using the vinegar/water solution in the ultrasonic cleaner.

The ultrasonic cleaner I have has an automatic two-minute timer on it. I usually run each fossil through at least 4 or 5 two-minute cycles in the cleaner, rinsing them off after each cycle and adding clean water.

I'm certainly no expert, by any means, but this method worked for me.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by gwestbrook

Thanks for sharing your prep method/experience. I find this type of information some of the most valuable on the forum.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

the joy of prep... one of my favorite leisure time pursuits around the house. its the closest thing i have to a hands on artistic outlet.

a couple last points on ech prep... i probably scrub the prominently tubercled specimens more gingerly than the smoother ones so as not to wear down tubercle tips.

finally, after ruining some good specimens over the years, i've learned when to stop prepping and be happy with a perfect specimen in difficult working matrix.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

the joy of prep... one of my favorite leisure time pursuits around the house. its the closest thing i have to a hands on artistic outlet.

a couple last points on ech prep... i probably scrub the prominently tubercled specimens more gingerly than the smoother ones so as not to wear down tubercle tips.

finally, after ruining some good specimens over the years, i've learned when to stop prepping and be happy with a perfect specimen in difficult working matrix.

Yes, for me as well. You can see some in the photos to which I may have done just that. But, I'm pretty happy with my results on this go around. Can't wait to get back out there and find some more! Thanks, again, Dan! I really appreciate your input.

Thank you gwestbrook, and I echo snolly50's reply!

You're welcome! Thanks for the kind comments.

I have seen an ultrasonic cleaner in action as well. Last week, I brought a mystery fossil over to John Hedley who runs the Natural Canvas. It's from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed and had been in a box with my bony fish stuff for years. I thought it could be a cone which would be very unusual for the layer. It was still mostly obscured by matrix even after some washing and toothbrushing. John offered the use of the cleaner. I didn't know to ask whether he was using hydrogen peroxide.

The cleaner took off more of the matrix though John remained less than 100% convinced it is a cone though it appears to have an attachment point on one end. I don't want to slice it to see if it has seeds. Now, I'm thinking of getting a cleaner.

Yes, I'm sure it could be used for other fossils. But, just be careful and see how the vinegar reacts to the test. It's a lot stronger than the hydrogen peroxide many people use.

Gary

You are either finding better echs than I am, or have perfected a better method of prepping. I've been sticking with mild hydrogen peroxide and a brass brush. Very time consuming (albeit relaxing).

I may have to buy an ultrasonic cleaner.

Looking forward to our hunt on Saturday. Not so much to the start of the school year on Monday.

But the next Monday means the kids will be back--I always love the first classroom day.