Fossil Prep Tools

vellis

Ok, I finally broke down and bought some really needed (according to me :) ) fossil prep tools.

1) ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight tools. It is a 2.5 liter capacity for about $75

2) Air scribe - technically it is still considered a pneumatic engraving tool. I think it may be a newer model, it is a Chicago Pneumatic CP9160 I picked it up for $129. It seemed like a good compromise between the CP710, which I was not so sure about, and the CP9361, which seems to be somewhat of a standard, but not for detail work and costs a bit more than the 9160. Actually, it seems to be fairly close to the All Air Products one that a lot of people like, but that would be better addressed by someone who has seen or used both.

Specs

1.69 CFM air usage

32,400 Blows per Minute

After trying the $20 dremel engraving tool, or the Dremel of Destruction (likely due to my inexperience and impatience). But the new CP 9160 is great.

The ultrasonic cleaner is great too, I have not had anything that is too delicate to put in there, although with Baculites, I only have put a few

In that I didn't mind losing, or at least breaking apart.

I'll be anxious to see some results from each. I've been using the Sears engraver and it seems to do a good job for what I use it for, but it's certainly not cut out for big jobs.

Post some before/after pics from each.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have any good before and after pics from the air scribe / engraver, but here is one from the ultrasonic cleaner. Granted it looks like it is mostly loose dirt on the before pic in this case, I have been able to use it to clean out some packed in stuff in small places that would have taken a LOT longer otherwise.

Before:

post-8738-0-11636800-1344997892_thumb.jpg

After:

post-8738-0-18935400-1344997885_thumb.jpg

Looks like it's done a good job... and like you said, alot quicker than manually.

I've never really thought about one before, but I may just have to check it out more closely.

By the way, I'm not sure what that's a pic of, but it sure reminds me of a human brain.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

If I guessed and/or remember correctly; not looking at it now. I think it is an Exogyra Ponderosa or similar with a lot of holes in it, from a boring sponge.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had an ultrasonic cleaner in the past, they work great. And yes I am a Dremel kind of person as well, and they do take a bit of patience and practice, although I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an air scribe either... :drool: Hope the new tools work well for you!