New Member From France

milou115

Hello every body !

I am Emile, 17 years old from France.

I have been fond of fossils since I was about 6 or 7 years old. Now I am "specialized" in ammonites. Most of my collection comes from France especially north of France from the Sinemurian and Pliensbachian geological stages, but I have fossils from my region (Aquitaine for those who know) from upper cretaceous (Coniacian) I invite you to visit my website which is in construction it is only in french I am sorry about that, if you want to see my collection go to "Classification stratigraphique" then I think you'll find !

I think I have said approximatly all, I am sorry about "schoolish english" which must be full of mistakes, I hope I will also improve it speaking with you !

See you ;)

Mil'

A big Texas howdy! :) Welcome to the forum.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Emile

Another greeting goes out from TX. While I don't specialize in any one kind of fossils I have spent a good amount of time chasing ammonites. I think I have taken in excess of 1000 specimens in the last 4 years from 4 mm pyritized micromorphs to 500 mm, 40 kg specimens. While most Texas ammonites come from Lower Cretaceous deposits, I personally target Upper Cretaceous ammonites most often because I find them more challenging to collect.

I recognize a few genera in your collection that are similar to ours. Some Texas Cretaceous ammonite genera I've collected from oldest to youngest include Oxytropidoceras, Engonoceras, Venezoliceras, Idiohamites, Eopachydiscus, Mortoniceras, Plesioturrilites, Stoliczkia, Calycoceras, Mantelliceras, Scaphites, Metengonoceras, Desmoceras, Worthoceras, Pseudocalycoceras, Allocrioceras, Metoicoceras, Sciponoceras, Prionocyclus, Collignoceras, Prionocycloceras, Parapuzosia, Texanites, Pachydiscus, Placenticeras, Menabites, Trachyscaphites, Didymoceras, Bostrychoceras, Glyptoxoceras, Australiella, Baculites, Discoscaphites, Sphenodiscus, and Anapachydiscus. I'm sure there are some oddballs that escape memory at the moment. We also have Cretaceous nautiloids Cymatoceras, Paracymatoceras, and Eutrephoceras. All that being said, the easiest ammonites to find in TX seem to be Eopachydiscus and Mortoniceras, and they tend to be some of the bigger specimens at that.

Our Pennsylvanian (Carboniferous) deposits hold many genera of cool Goniatites as well such as Gonioloboceras, Paraschistoceras, and many many others, often in the form of pyritized micromorphs. Many nautiloids such as Michelinocers and Liroceras can be found here as well.

I give ammonites my undivided attention periodically but change my focus often as I really enjoy variety in collecting.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thank you for all these messages !

I am very glad to see your welcoming messages !

Danwoehr : your answer is very interesting ! I hope that we will have great discussions about fossils !

Harry Pristis : I know how to do it "in french" but I don't know the english words for it ! I will look for it soon ! when I will have more time !

See you !

Mil'

Merci de tous ces messages ! Je suis très heureux de voir vos messages d'accueil ! Danwoehr : votre réponse est très intéressante ! J'espère que nous aurons de grandes discussions au sujet des fossiles ! Harry Pristis : Je sais à faites-le "en français" mais je ne sais pas les mots anglais pour lui ! Je le rechercherai bientôt ! quand j'aurai plus de temps !

If you have a way to protect your pyritized specimens, don't let language stop you from posting it.

--------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Oh well :D

I try a quick answer !

In fact people's point of view are various, some say that it's better to let them like they are, other say that they have to be treated. If they are rusty you can of course treat them with an "anti-dust" product. If you want to conserv it during a longer period there aren't in what I know a magical solution (don't know if it makes sense in english?) you can use parafin, and it is important to conserve them in a place without dampness and where the temperature is stable.

I hope that it will help you...

See you

Mil'

Harry, i just heard of another technique. the wyominig dinosaur center soaks the pieces in an acrylic liquid. acryl 60 is a product for sealing concrete and i have used it some to stabalize bone. i here it seals the bone inside and out so that the pyrite doesn't spread. you can dilute it with water so that it penetrates better.

brock

• Members

I collected these pyritized ammonites about 25 years ago. None have shown deterioration. What I used was clear liquid floor wax diluted with a couple drops of alcohol. This recipe was recommended by a British collector.

post-69-1195089225_thumb.jpg Tropidoceras masseanum

post-69-1195089255.jpg Echioceras raricostatum

post-69-1195089276.jpg Eoderoceras bispinigerum

post-69-1195089292_thumb.jpg Uptonia bronni

Also a few specimens of pyritized bemnites such as:

post-69-1195089830_thumb.jpg Cylindrotethis puzosiana

Hi geofossil !

Very nice specimens from the period I love the most !

I think there is just a little problem with the Eoderoceras bispinigerum... I do not know the species form the States but Eoderoceras have got spines, an important costulation and the "belly" of the ammonite is quite large and the costulation crosses it. If your ammonite comes from Sinemurian stage, it is more in my sense an Oxynoticeras or Radstockiceras. I think that Oxynoticeras will be better if it comes from Sinemurian, these ammonites has got a very important carina? their flanks are sleek, the umbilic is very small, this ammonite is very "involute" whereas Eoderoceras are "evolute". Radstickoceras is quite rare in our Sinemurian, it is part of the family of the Oxynoticeratidea, one of the main difference is the size of the umbilic which is praticly unexistant but some can look like yours.

I join two links to my website :P

here the Eoderoceratidae

here the Oxynoticeratidae

I hope that I haven't said stupid things ! Can you send a bigger photo and precise the age ?

I am preparating an Eoderoceras armatum I will join photos when it will be finished.

I hope that my english is good, it is very hard to traduce scientific terms, if you know how to say them I will be glad to learn it !

See you !

Mil'

• Members

milou,

Thank you! you are correct. You are an astute and knowledgeable student of ammonites. I copied the wrong ID for this ammonite. I'm not very adept at posting photos and getting the labels sorted out. And I have little excuse as I find posting photos on 'Fossil Forum' much easier than on most websites.

I have quite a few cephalopods so if you ever want a photo of a particular genus , let me know. Odds are I won't have it!...but there is the odd chance. Most of my Jurassic material is Middle to Late. I also like collecting the publications on cephalopods as much as the actual specimens.

Hi geofossil !

Thanks for your compliments, but I only know ammonites from the sinemurian and pliensbachian...

I will be glad to see photos of your cephalopods from the lias ! and if you have publications it seems intersting for me too !

Last question : in which country did you find them ?

See you

Mil'