K&f Quarry: Sufffield, Ct

michael971

http://www.sunstar-solutions.com/sunstar/Conanthus/conanthus.htm

The map is wrong. The arrow points to Enfield CT. I think the quarry is near the "rr" in the word quarry and I used Google maps and Internet research. I think it has been filled in.

I tried searching the stream which flows into the CT. The stream is just north of Windsor Locks, Suffield line. There is a lot of exposure in the cliffs of sandstone/shale of different textures and would be interesting to a geologist. Lots of rock pieces along the stream bed, But no fossils.

Hey Michael,

You are correct in that it has been filled in - this is a direct quote from the link you posted:

" ... come from the same beds in the former K-F (Kelsey-Ferguson) quarry, which is no longer accessible. The quarry was abandoned and reclaimed (filled in) in early 1992 soon after the collection was made by the junior author. The quarry is located near Suffield, CT, in the Broad Brook 7 .5 minute quadrangle at 41 degrees 58' 45" North; 72 degrees 36' 30" West."

Unfortunately, it is quite normal in the Newark Supergroup hunting to have lots of rock exposed, and no fossils in very large sections of it.

You can ask anyone who has hunted in the Hartford, Deerfield, or Pomperaug basins, ( or anywhere in the Newark Supergroup, really) and they will tell you the same thing. Lots of rocks, very little fossils. :(

Keep looking though. You never know what you'll find, or when or where you'll find it. :)

I know that plants (similar to your last find) were found in the Tariffville gorge, near Tariffville.

Good luck and keep us informed of your finds.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me